Attic Installations

Any feedback on the feasibility and pros/cons on indoor attic installs? I’ve never done one but saw a picture of one on ebay so I’m curious how they work…

jwcn wrote:
Any feedback on the feasibility and pros/cons on indoor attic installs? I've never done one but saw a picture of one on ebay so I'm curious how they work...

We've had a few "indoor" installs which seem to do "ok". Really depends on the exterior building materials. This should *not* be your first choice, but if it's your only choice, then it's something to try if you *really* want the subscriber.

We have a few 900mhz subs with a 900Mhz stinger on a connectorized radio pointed in the general direction of the AP and it seems to work pretty well.. but isn't as reliable as an outdoor install. We've also got at least 1 2.4SM which is in the same situation (the SM is in an upstairs loft) but is literally a couple hundred feet from our AP.

How well it will work really depends on the exact situation - including frequency band, building materials, etc..., but shouldn't really be (in my opinion) your first choice.

It should be noted that windows are often less transparent than the wall next to the window due to the low-e materials and/or lead in the glass.

-forrest

We have a couple of 5 Ghz installations indoor. The SM 5400 is attached to the window glass about 1 mile from the AP.
Connection seems to be quite good: RSSI 450, jitter 4-5.

Ciao

My concern would be if the customer didn’t pay!

Good point I didn’t think of…

Out of about 300 clients, I’d guess we have a few dozen that are installed in attics, or even just indoors next to the computer in a few upstairs cases.

I was feeling pretty good about them, too, until clueless gave me something to worry about :shock: !!

As mentioned above, survey carefully, you can get unexpected results depending on what you’re going through. Very old windows are leaded, very new windows have UV coatings, both of which can be a no-go. Watch out for outside insulation (that 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick panel material that goes on under siding), because some of it is foil-backed.

Definitely use it as a last resort, but it does come in handy under that right circumstances – such as landlords/neighborhood associations not allowing outdoor mounting.

such as landlords/neighborhood associations not allowing outdoor mounting.

This would be a violation of Federal Law. I always keep a copy of this in my truck :lol:

Indeed so. I have used the FCC ruling many times to strongarm neighborhood associations. I’m sure they hate us but I could care less about their petty rules.

When it comes to broadband, I’m all business…

I am in agreement with the petty rules thing.

However when we meet any resistance, I inform them of the ruling but that we are sensitive to their concerns and will try to install in the most unobtrusive way possible.

I prefer to convert potential enemies into reluctantly cooperative allies in not friends. They tend to be more willing to REFER me that if I stomp on their feet. :smiley:

jwcn wrote:
such as landlords/neighborhood associations not allowing outdoor mounting.

This would be a violation of Federal Law. I always keep a copy of this in my truck :lol:

do you have in a PDF or could yould point me to a link or excerpt of this Federal law?

Thanks,

Paul

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

thanks so mucch !!!

I have one install where the yagi lays across the rafters in an attic. The signal shoots through the wall and over a hill to the AP. I think the shot is close to 2 miles as well. Been working like a charm for almost 3 years. Sadly I have to go take it out next week. I plan to take lots of pictures though beforehand.