Backhaul downlink setup

Hi all

Ok firstly its late here! Been working on things all day so please no patronizing comments like…read the manual! (Talking to you Jerry!!)

So I have recently setup sync over our whole network from one GPS, all AP’s receive it and all works well.

Before hand I had different AP’s at different sites generating their own sync which was not advisable…so now all changed. The weird thing is that the setup before seemed to be a lot more efficient. We have a 10Mbps leased line backhaul and from our NMC me have an orthagon 60Mbps link to our first mast (runs at 17Mbps up/down). From there we have a BH10 link to the next AP mast. When I set the downlink to 50% I get about 800kbps up and 800kbps down from a user off that mast. When I set it to 30% downlink I get about 4.5Mbps down and 1.2 Mbps up…not complaining at that but the question is WHY???

Think I’m out of brain power tonight!

Could you post the full results of a link test(s)?

The BH10, where is the master and the slave?

Stats for LUID: 2 Test Duration: 10 Pkt Length: 1522

Downlink RATE: 1637017 bps
Uplink RATE: 5309644 bps
Aggregate RATE: 6946661 bps
Pkt Xmt (Act/Exp): 1339/0
Pkt Rcv (Act/Exp): 4311/0

Downlink Efficiency: 100 Percent
Downlink Index (Act/Max): 100/100
Frag Count (Act/Exp): 31973/31973

Uplink Efficiency: 99 Percent
Uplink Index (Act/Max): 99/100
Frag Count (Act/Exp): 103946/103704

Setup is like this…I’ll use -> to represent an ethernet link and === for a wireless link.

NMC->BH60(master)===BH60(s)->BH10(s)===BH10(m)->AP===SM

With the Bh10 set to 30% downlink, I can get Approx 4mbps down and 1.6Mbps up at the SM but when set to 50% the speed at the SM drops to about 1Mbps up/dowm?

What’s the AP % set to?

AP downlink set to 75%

Seems like 99% of the questions asked are in the manual so I get a little cranky. I apologize.

I suspect self interference either from the BH10-Master or another AP.

Q’s:
What band is the BH10? What frequency is it assigned?
What band is the AP? What frequencies are they assigned?
Is there more than 1 AP on the mast? Are they all configured identically?
- DL%
- Max Distance
- Control Slots
If you switch an AP to an SM, do any of your other AP’s from another tower show up in the AP Eval Data? If so, are those AP’s configured identically?

Hi Jerry

Only yanking your chain earlier! All in jest as I hope it is received…I actually agree many answers can be found in the manual…with a little patience!

So on the mast is one AP and two BH10’s.

BH10 in the 5.7GHz freq and assigned 5830MHz

AP (5.4GHz) on Mast Assigned 5700Mhz

Other BH10 (5.7GHz) assigned 5765MHz to link to another mast.

This site also is a backhaul site for my main link hence the 2 BH10’s (one in and one out)

The sync is passed from main mast to this one via one of the BH10 slave’s and the AP and BH10 Master are receiving it ok…according to the radio’s anyway!

I know i’m up for critism here but the sync generated is from one AP on my main mast…but seems to have been working well…main mast up for 3 years and has 3 other AP running next to it receiving sync with no probs.

All hardware on 8.1.5.1

All AP’s in my control are as follows

Downlink 75%
Control Slots 0
Max Distance 10 Miles

When I switch the AP to an SM and use the spectrum analyser there is nothing in the report except the BH10’s at 5765 and 5830. Other AP’s close by are on 5530 5600 5500 and 5550…but not seen as I believe separated by terrain.

When the SM speed drops, what does the link test look like?

Try changeing the % in the AP to 50%, and run the tests again.

When the BH goes to 50% downlink, the llink test is the same except that the uplink and downlink data rates are equal as you would expect approx 3.5Mbps up/down.

I have discovered however that when I change the equipment behind the SM I get a different set up results??? So I think its nothing to do with Canopy but the linux computer that the customers has in place as their central server.

They are complaining now cause before I did the work to sync everything together then were getting 3Mbps down and 1Mbps up…now they only seem to be getting 800k up/down???

When I plug my own laptop in I can get the data rate provided…

Any linux guru’s out there??

mjcthepilot wrote:
Stats for LUID: 2 Test Duration: 10 Pkt Length: 1522
NMC->BH60(master)===BH60(s)->BH10(s)===BH10(m)->AP===SM

With the Bh10 set to 30% downlink, I can get Approx 4mbps down and 1.6Mbps up at the SM but when set to 50% the speed at the SM drops to about 1Mbps up/dowm?

Everything is normal. The BHM should be configured to 25%. The BHS will transmit the dowlink 75% of the time, so will the AP.

If the BHM is on the side of the BH60 then it should be configured to 75%.