Beehive Stinger vs. Canopy Lens

Are there any major differences between the Stinger from Beehive and the Canopy Lens?

http://www.wbmfg.com/Stinger/

http://motorola.canopywireless.com/prod … pec_page=4

I have had some good results with the Stinger and am considering deploying it rather heavily in one neighborhood that has a lot of LOS issues. Does anyone have any experience with these in cold and dry climates? We live in Colorado and the winters can certainly be pretty brutal, because it is VERY dry out here and most plastics do not fair well. So I am concerned that these things will dry up and crack after a season in our neck of the woods. Anyone have any experience that they can share?

Thank you.

Look at the grids these guys have. I just installed a warm 32 and great results…

www.AdvancedAntennaInc.com

You could use one of the smaller units…

I have been less then impressed with the performance of the Stinger. Unless you are within 0-3 miles they don’t seem to performe well. Specially if there are LOS issuse. I favor the 14dbi Yagi from M2. Out performs many 18dbi yagis.

Frothingdog.ca wrote:
I have been less then impressed with the performance of the Stinger. Unless you are within 0-3 miles they don't seem to performe well. Specially if there are LOS issuse. I favor the 14dbi Yagi from M2. Out performs many 18dbi yagis.

We just did some tests, and I would say I had the opposite experience although in our case it was about a 3 mile separation with absolutely no LOS. We are talking trees and land mass, and the Stinger performed beautifully. Much better than a yagi. This was with 900Mhz BTW. I am pretty convinced that we need to have a stable of different antennae, as each situation seems to call for a different type of antenna.

But overall I think you are probably right in that it does not do great things on longer distances. We had another situation also that the yagi's did not do well at all, but a 15 dbi grid dish did the trick (again with 900 mhz).

As I said, it does not look like there is a magic bullet out there. Different situations require different equipment.

I am currently using all canopy 5.7 AP/Sm to connect remote sites. I have one site that will have about 100 end users, that is about 3 miles from my main ap site and I am unable to get signal via a sm using grid antenna or stinger, this was tested using a 50 ft push up pole . One option is to put up a tower(probably 75-100ft would get me connected), costly and dealing with city is going to be a nightmare, and was wondering what you guys have seen as far as throughput and distances using the 900 mhz gear. I would not have los to my main sight, but would only be foliage between sites. Thanks for any help or insight on this.

Alan

etech

I am very surprised with your success with the 900 stingers. I’ve had clients with stingers at 2miles with just a few trees have reg issues. And the noise floor is at -85 so it’s not that bad. Put a 14dbi Yagi from M2 on it and it works like a dream. However, we have had mixed results with the 18dbi Yagi’s from M2. But other people have had great success with them. We’ve had 14bi M2 yagi’s out perform 18dbi M2 yagi’s which is nuts.

But I totally aggree with you that different antennas are needed in different situations. Frequency, terrian, altitude, atmospheric conditions, trees, buildings, and weather can affect signals to some degree so conditions will change from region to region. Wireless…I Love to Hate it :slight_smile:

The 2.4 Stingers have been great for us. I’ve never used the Motorola version.