BH10 and BH20 Management Vlan Support

The new vlan support for the AP and SM is great, but what about the BH. It seems that many people have discussed that they use 802.1Q trunks over their backhauls. Since the port on each side is set to tagged, there currently is no way into the backhauls units without kludgy work arounds (or switches that support tagged and untagged on the same port - Foundry Fastiron 400, Fastiron edges do). Are there plans to add a management vlan to the Back haul units? If so, when can we expect to see this feature? This would greatly simplify deployment of the backhauls.

Thanks

Justin

I second this request. Currently, the PC I use has 2 NICs, one for internet work and the other for Canopy management. I use a D-Link switch with tagging and untagging on the outgoing port. The tagged packets are customer info and the untaggedpackets are management traffic. PIA!! I was very excited when I saw VLAN tagging would be supported by 6.1. Now I am not impressed that they couldn’t add it ( I assume it isn’t too much work) tot he BH units as well.

Aaron

cisco supports the native vlan over top of the 802.1q trunks

I know this for fact, because this is how we access the units over our trunks.

I made sure that the proper people were aware of this. Thanks for the suggestion.

duanecox wrote:
cisco supports the native vlan over top of the 802.1q trunks

I know this for fact, because this is how we access the units over our trunks.

Exactly, I'm using the native vlan capability inside the switch to provide the management VLAN.

Where 802.1q trunking support is really needed is inside the MicroCMM.

I may be wrong but so long as the BH or the CMM / CMMMicro does not strip the VLAN tag then the VLANs in place on the SM thru to AP and to backbone switch whether it be Cisco, Alcatel, Dell, HP or what have you should be preserved.