BPL

Has anyone here used Moto’s BPL solution yet? I’ve been thinking about setting up a couple MDU’s with high-speed internet and I’m trying to decide between VDSL and BPL.

What are the actual speeds one can get out of it? What’s the distance inside a building?

Have not deployed it yet. If you decide to go that way, let me know how it goes.

Cost per sub using VDSL for 8 subs is about 215.00 , and for 24 subs is about 200.00. Cost per sub using BPL is about 179 for the first 10 subs, then only 100 for the next 40 subs so it’s much lower cost.

VDSL - 15Mbps, BPL - 85Mbps. Assuming the BPL works as well as the VDSL I can see some immediate benefits to BPL:

- Don’t need to cross connect in the telco closet
- BPL scales better - 50 subs off one 1100 unit
- Managed with Prism
- Self Install - no truck roll!
- Allows customer to move modem to any outlet
- No chance of Telco company screwing up a connection
- Potentials for much higher speeds
- Did I say no truck roll?

You will need an electrician to tie in the BPL but that’s pretty low cost.

If I wasn’t doing commercial I’d be all over it, but these buildings have multiple meters so it drives the cost/complexity up. We also still need to physically go to the site so VDSL still makes sense.

The Motorola BPL documentation claims that the system works fine through meters. They recommend you connect the BPL hub before the meters using the buildings main feed.

Good to know., thanks.

I’d like to use these in office buildings but what I’d like to know is what are the real-life speed and distance capabilities. Anyone have any experience with this?

bump…

I’m getting more and more interested in this technology.

Anyone using this in real-world use?

I’m interested in talking to you if you are…

I’m going to research this quite a bit more, but:

* What is maximum distance from the gateway to gateway?
* Real world speeds being used are?
* Reliability of equipment…surges, brownouts, etc.
* Is it possible to run this over line from say an office to another office 3-4 blocks down the road? How do you get past transformers?

Thanks,

Rich

We got one demo kit few months ago, it worked in our offices for a week and stoped. We haven’t got a chance to test it for distance or in a apartment building. We are waiting for another unit.

erkan wrote:
We got one demo kit few months ago, it worked in our offices for a week and stoped. We haven't got a chance to test it for distance or in a apartment building. We are waiting for another unit.

Not such encouraging news...When it did work, was it reliable? [lol]

It was demo kit, not the actual product. It was a box which didn’t have Moto sign on it, just for testing. I connected my office PC to it. Until it worked I didn’t experienced difference between LAN and BPL. Distance was below 10 meters.

BPL doesn’t goes thru transformers, it can only pass thru meters.

I like to test conecting it on the distribution panel at my ofice instead of the meters room…