Broadband for small development

I have been asked to quote for suppy of broadband to a small development of 29 houses by a construction company. The houses are due to be built middle of next year, with first buyers living there towards the end of the year.

I have existing coverage in the area at present, but the builder would like to be able to offer ‘broadband installed’ or ‘fitted for broadband’ etc.

I would be grateful for any ideas or case studies that others know of. My thinking would lead me to three ways of tackling it

- Ask the builder to run cat5 wiring to each chimney pot, and fit canopy SM whenever we get a customer. Treat as standard customer.

- Fit a Vdsl system. I’ve no experience of this, but have read of it here and it does seem like a very elegant solution

- Wifi enable the estate and charge either a standard monthly fee or hotspot type billing.

The builder would be willing to do extra work for us, like wiring, but I will not be able to charge him as such. There will be competition from DSL so, I do not want to make a big investment with no guarantee of a return. My guess is in the region of 8-10 subscribers.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Regards,

John

VDSL works in MDU/MTU where you can get to all of the building wiring on the other side of the MPOE and not violate any Tariffs. This is not possible in a single family home development.

Wireless to the desktop is sketchy at best, but it can be done. I think there is a significant investment to make sure you can cover the development correctly without knowing the number of subs you will get.

I would probably just go with individual SM’s on an as-needed basis which fits your current business model anyway. I would have the builder put in two Cat5’s to the chimney (one spare).

Comments noted. -thanks

Because these houses will have choice of Canopy or DSL, I want to be able to offer BB without any installation (fee) or impact to them, like DSL, but without the line rental aspect of DSL which makes us more competitive.

One simple idea may be to ask the developer to fit a network socket in each house, and run cat5 back to a central point where I could fit a switch.
Extra investment on my behalf is just the switch.

Will I run into issues with excessive lengths of cat5 ?

Cheers (and HNY)

John

If the developer will run a separate Cat5 connection to each house’s MPOE from some central location, then the VDSL solution would be the way to go. An Ethernet switch is going to have 100m limits.

The VDSL switches give you snmp monitoring and per port BW limiting, as well as multicast and broadcast filtering.

The initial cost is going to be
- 1ea SM
- 1ea 8 port VDSL switch (these are stackable) - 700ea I think

subscriber modems are about 75ea.

When a customer wants service from you, you would just go to the MPOE on the house and land your pair on the house’s telephone line, drop a modem in at the computer, and put filters on the other phone jacks.

I manage a similiar situation to this.

The contractor ran a cat5 cable to each apartments wireing closet. Also a cat5 from that spot to each wall jack for phone service.

What we did is left the Blue and Brown pairs for phone lines. Took the Orange and Green pairs for Data.

Lets see if I can draw this.

Weather proof box outside with 24 port managed switch ------> pair going from this to each apartments wireing closet (connect together the pairs from the outside to the pairs where the phone wall plate the computer is closest to) --------> Change out the wall plate to have both a phone + data plug.

Some of our concerns with this was Cost, reliability, speed (and limiting), monitoring, security.

Cost: We used a 300 Managed switch. Could have went with a slightly better one.
Reliability: We force all ports to 10M half duplex
Speed: The managed switch lets us set the ingress and egress speed in chunks of 100Kbis/s
Monitoring: This switch support snmp
Security: Customer security was a big thing on our list. This switch support port based VLAN. Each customer is on there own vlan.

Limitations: Distance

Distance: Ethernet is restricted to 300 feet.