Byte usage reporting software

I now have my 900 canopy up and working and have about 7 customers at the moment and lots waiting to be connected, my aim is to get about 20+, I now need to be able to find out how much each customer is using.
I have a server loaded with Linux Centos and connected to the CMM but as yet I’m unable to access it remotely and don’t have any software to account for bytes used .

I don’t at this time need to have a built in billing system just a way of seeing who is using how much:)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Hello BeeVee, given you already have a Linux server available, I would look into Cacti to graph the bandwidth usage. It will use snmp to poll the SM and pull interface stats.

Thanks for that Acasto,
It looks like just the thing we may need to do our job, I have an offsider that is much more into the software side of things so I’ll get him on the job with it :slight_smile:

We use PRTG http://www.paessler.com/prtg6 works great. Each of our business customers have access to their own sensors and they love it.

F.

Chavex wrote:
We use PRTG http://www.paessler.com/prtg6 works great. Each of our business customers have access to their own sensors and they love it.

I'm using PRTG too.
It's not free but works great.
BTW, are you using its web interface to publish graphs for customers?

Ciao
Massimo

We have had some problems with Linux CentOS and were unable to remotely access the info on our server so we have installed XP.

Is Cacti still a good byte accounting way to go with XP or should we look at a different program.

install VMware server www.vmware.com and then download a cacti appliance, you can use a precompiled pre installed ready to go fully functional piece of software. But be smart and learn the underlying software over the course of time so you can troubleshoot it.

We run most everything as virtual machines, we backup the entire virtual machine file in the event we have a catastrophe, we could get back up and running on almost any machine in the time it takes to transfer some files.

I use prtg and have no issues with it. I have used mrtg also…

If you are going to play with cacti, I’d suggest getting some spare hardware together and loading up CactiEZ. If you are someone that does not have a lot of experience with Linux in general, loading CactiEZ is the quickest way for you to get the tool installed and running. Additionally, the distro also contains Nagios, which can be used in tandem with Cacti to proactively monitor the health of the network via ping checks and SNMP polls.

Thats my .0000000001 cents worth.

Have you seen this yagi, It the best one on the market.

www.kpperformance.ca

amd phreak wrote:
If you are going to play with cacti, I'd suggest getting some spare hardware together and loading up CactiEZ. If you are someone that does not have a lot of experience with Linux in general, loading CactiEZ is the quickest way for you to get the tool installed and running. Additionally, the distro also contains Nagios, which can be used in tandem with Cacti to proactively monitor the health of the network via ping checks and SNMP polls.

Thats my .0000000001 cents worth.

This.

It's free, it works, it's great.[/img]

Ryan your img is broke.

:frowning:

Really? Looks like it’s fine to me. Try visiting http://enos.ehpg.net/~nitro/monitor.JPG

Hi Ryan,
Can you give me more info on that as it does look like something I can use.:slight_smile:

I have also been looking at Trafmeter but I must admit it is all a little over my head, I have downloaded the trial version but am getting bogged down trying to understand how to monitor my canopy users.
At the moment all of my users are getting it for free coz I can’t monitor their useage :frowning:

Geeee I wish some of you guys were on this side of the world so I could sit down with ya and pick ya brains… lol.

It is really hard being where there is no one to ask or show ya how to do it.