Cacti

Updated

VERY nice. Did it take you long to configure?

about 8hrs.

is that autoreport mail is available with the newest cacti? or you did modification? or it;s avaliable as plugins and downloadable?

it’s modded by me.

Great…hope you can share it with other canopy user :oops:

Do you have that plugiin available for download? I actively use cacti for my network and would love to include that.

We currently have been playing with cacti as well. Our customers are currently added by their mac address and then this is cross refed with another file to find the correct or current IP address for the sm.

Works quite well and I dont have to go and have public rf ips to monitor the devices

Give it back to the Cacti project, folks. That’s what Open Source is all about…

Here is the script that we use to allow polling the sm with mac address rather than ip address.

Cacti is required!

Will only work for SM’s and backhaul slaves

http://cacti.atcyber.net/mac2hosts.tar.gz

This link --> http://cacti.atcyber.net/mac2hosts.tar.gz <–

Appears broken…

I’d love to try this out w/ my Cacti install… Is there a new link?

The above link should work again.

Cacti is up and running on Win2k server. Graphing Router and BH Masters for the time being.

Very painful install. Follow these instructions to the letter and it will work. The instructions on the Cacti website are incomplete.

http://bsod2600.home.comcast.net/install_windows.html

It looks like the customer graphs are for Linux. Too bad for me.

Still, it seems solid…

Jerry

We use Linux, so not sure if this is valid, however, search for Motorola on the cacti forum, there are templates for SMs and APs, once installed adding a new customer is just a few clicks.

Templates include the following graphs, Traffic, Ethernet link status, Jitter, dBm, RSSI, session status and temperature.

We also use the Monitor and Threshold templates.

The only thing missing for me is the ability to do what charles.regan has done with monthly traffic reporting.

Adam

I’ve worked alot on doing this. I don’t think my boss would like it, if I share my work to the whole world. :wink:
If anyone is able to make a script to search wich sm is using wich public IP (like in prizm) , i’ll share my work.

Something simple like this:
Search: 205.237.5.5 -------> SM122 !!!

Maybe V8 will help us do this kind of stuff easier…

So you get what is the equivalent of THOUSANDS of hours of development on Cacti for free, but you will not give back the community your efforts?

I call that leeching from the system.

Think about it. It’s called Open Source for a reason.

I agree. The last time I heard “look what I can do” I was watching my daughter play on the swings.

Hi Charles

I would have thought if you put it to your boss that you have benefited greatly from Cacti and the Open Source system, (including I assume the use of the Motorola SM and AP templates freely available from the Cacti forum), then he would feel better about sharing your work with the Open Source community.

A number of us are one or two people companies who do not have the time or resources at this stage of our growth to do this kind of development even though we can see the positive benefits to our daily system monitoring. When we are larger we will be able to do our own development and share with the community. To me this is what makes the Open Source community work so well.

Charles, for the Open Source community and other Canopy users, please try to share your code.

adamb

Hello Mr. Brodel!

I was looking around on this forum and indeed started drueling when I saw some of that information - - I wish I had more experience in programming that kind of stuff - - I did a lot of programming six years ago when I was in college but haven’t touched anything but HTML since…

I would imagine if we took some of those screenshots and shared them with the open source folks they’d help us…

Jay Fuller
Cyber Broadband Inc
Cullman Alabama
http://www.cyberbroadband.net

Hello Charles:

I had a similar delima a few months ago and although we only have about six APs in use, I came up with a way to find out which user was using which IP address (I had about 20 I didn’t have documented)

First you go to one of the APS or your own command prompt and use ARP. Firstly, you ping the address you know is in use (if you know it). I had been monitoring our system with a syslog program (called WallWatcher) and could browse through our traffic and identify which IP was who…

Once you know the “mystery” IP - ping it. Once you ping it, run arp -a and your table will show listing MAC and IP side by side.

Your next mission is to glance through the bridge tables of each AP to determine which AP contains your missing MAC.

Once you know that, the bridge table will tell you the LUID number of the radio that has your MAC and by that, you can figure out who has the IP.

For verification, you can logon to that LUID and look at that radios bridge table and you should see that MAC.

Hope this gets you close to where you wanted to go…

Jay Fuller
Cyber Broadband Inc
Cullman Alabama
http://www.cyberbroadband.net