Cambium 450 Medusa AP signal strength as function of distance

Is the signal strength for a particular angle/elavation (radioDbm Object ID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.161.19.3.2.2.8 ) proportional to 1/distance^2 converted from linear to log 10 scale? How does the communication mode (MIMOA/MIMOB) chang the dbm reading?

I would like to be able to normalize for distance so that we can just see the effects of angle/elevation on our SM (or, since this is a known effect, use the data to visually pick out SMs that might need to be re-aimed or have tree limbs removed).

Dustin Soodak

The SM's report distance, is there any reason you can't use that?

1 Like

I'm trying to find expected signal strength at a given distance in order to see which radios should be doing better given their location relative to the AP (our database has gps coordinates for each device).

You could put them into Linkplanner and it would give you an expected signal strength.

1 Like

Do you know if there is an API so servers can directly update LinkPlanner? It isn't practical to have yet another system in which we have to manually duplicate part of our database. Either way I guess I could just put in a bunch of experimental values to get the data I want.

@jhardy wrote:

Do you know if there is an API so servers can directly update LinkPlanner? It isn't practical to have yet another system in which we have to manually duplicate part of our database. Either way I guess I could just put in a bunch of experimental values to get the data I want.

You can import google KML/KMZ files... we just have our CRM dump all the subscriber addresses into a KMZ, and then load it all up into LinkPlanner. Works great!