canopy and 802.11

can these work together?
can i receive the signal send it by an AP with a wireless network card? and what do i need to do. on a same frecuency of course

regards

no canopy is 802.16

attitude0330 wrote:
no canopy is 802.16

Didn't know that. Thanks.

The only IEEE-compliant interface on Canopy is the Ethernet port. The RF interface and protocols are neither 802.11 (WiFi) nor 802.16 (WiMax). Canopy is a proprietary Motorola platform that shares some specific standards with other wired and wireless equipment – such as BRAID, DES, AES, CSMA/CA, and likely others – but the plaform as a whole is unique.

802.11 is often used for links over 1000 feet, but it was never intended for this role. 802.16, on the other hand, was designed for MAN (Metropolitan Area Network) use. 802.16 (WiMax) is, therefore, intended for use as a competitor to Canopy.

Teknix, do you think Canopy will adapt and eventually become Wimax compatible?

I realize eventually 802.16 will allow us to install a card in our laptop and receive internet from long distances.

Yes, I believe Motorola has WiMax plans, but I don’t know if they will use the Canopy hardware platform. It’s unlikely any manufacturer will build a WiMax product as a card for a notebook or PC. WiMax is intended for high data rates at moderate to long distances outdoors (500 feet to 30 miles); an Ethernet connection to the equipment – like Canopy – is more likely. A WiMax product intended to set indoors on a desk or shelf might instead have a USB connection.

The nationwide provider Clearwire uses CPE units that are installed indoors, using licensed 2.5GHz spectrum, and those units connect to the customer’s PC via Ethernet or USB. Clearwire has a tremendous advantage over Canopy-based providers: the owner of Clearwire also owns the manufacturer of the wireless units. Be on the lookout: Clearwire could easily roll right over the top of many of us.

thanks a lot for the extense answer Teknik and all

now i’m aware of this

regards

Teknik… just remember Motorola’s motto a few months ago… I’ve got a lot invested in it… “no SM will go unsupported.”

Hi Teknix:

That is interesting about Clearwire. I went to their website to check them out. I see they are using the licensed 2.5 G band. So their propogation will essentially be the same as the 2.4 G band…with the LOS limitations 2.4 G has. Thats why I decided on 900 MHz CAnopy, due to the LOS limitations in the neighborhood I want to serve. Even 900 MHz has problems with buildings I have found from my testing. So I don’t quite see how Clearwire will be doing so great at 2.5 G. Well…

I take that back. What kind of power can Clearwire run at 2.5 G? That might be part of the answer. But even higher then 36 dBi power will have LOS problems for Clearwire, I would think.

With all their infrastructure, I don’t see how they can make any profit with having to pay cellular tower owners a rental fee to be on their towers.

I would think they might even have problems getting on cellular towers, since the cellular companies don’t usually like to rent to other then other cellular companies when they do co-location.

I don’t know what Clearwire charges, but I would think they would have to charge a lot due to all their infrastructure.

I don’t see how Clearwire can get much range at 2.5 G since most cellular towers are usually designed not to be very high, due to co-channel interference within their system.

So I don’t know that Canopy installers would have too much to worry about from Clearwire. What do you think?

Thanks