CBRS discussion

Thanks for the suggestion to open this new area on the Community!

3 Likes

Thank you very much Ray for  setting this up. I am hopeful that people will use it, contribute to it and best of all grow our businesses from the knowledge gained from this new space. Great job on keeping the community in mind. 

Hi Ray, do you think it would be possible to have some of the CBRS videos that have been made by Cambium posted in this section? I have seen at least a couple of videos but not sure if there may be more  out there somewhere lingering :) Thanks

2 Likes

Good idea, I will work with Matt and the team and put what we have here.

1 Like

How does Cambium handle the domain proxy issue? If I upgrade some older 450s or buy new ones for CBRS, do I need to purchase a Cambium domain proxy? If so, what is the part number and how does one obtain it? Or will it use the cnMaestro or other online service as the DP, and if so, is there a price? Also, is the DP mandatory or optional?

Note for the uninitiated: CBRS Devices need to talk to the SAS. They must either be tested and have the CBSD-SAS protocol in them or they must work with a domain proxy which is tested in conjunction with the radio. The main advantage of a DP is that the SAS will only talk to a device that has a valid HTML certificate (acceptable by WInnForum standards) installed. These cost money. So even if the radio talks the protocol, if you have a bunch of devices, it may be cheaper to talk to a proxy and let the proxy's certificate be shared.

@fgoldstein wrote: ...will it use the cnMaestro or other online service as the DP...

Yes, in the CBRS Webinar yesterday, Cambium said that cnMaestro would be the Domain Proxy. :) 

If it's the same price as I pay now for cnMaestro ($0), that will be great! :-)

@fgoldstein wrote:

If it's the same price as I pay now for cnMaestro ($0), that will be great! :-)

Every device that connects to the SAS, which I've been told is every Cambium radio (there are no class A devices), will have to pay a monthly SAS fee of a few $ per month. I think this fee is $3 or $4 per month.

Yes, there is a SAS fee. And I guess that's how cnMaestro is paid for -- Google charges $2.25, and Cambium charges $3 through cnMaestro. That .75 keeps you from needing a cert, so it's still a decent deal. However, if you want a different SAS, it may be tricker.

Which firmware release will support CBRS on the 450s? The FCC approval is there so the upgrade should be legal, but I don't see it mentioned in any release notes yet.

@fgoldstein wrote:

Which firmware release will support CBRS on the 450s? The FCC approval is there so the upgrade should be legal, but I don't see it mentioned in any release notes yet.

People that are participating in Cambium's ICD's are using private beta firmware designed for CBRS use. If you have your CPI certification and you'd like to participate in an ICD, reach out to Matt Mangriotis.

Can we get on ICD still, even though it is december?