Ceiling Mounted XV2-2X - Intended Wiring Path?

it is a difficult situation here. The only other thing that I can propose is some sort of full plastic “ring” which would fit around the AP to cover everything. Let me discuss with our mechanical engineer.

1 Like

I do think a cover that does not wrap completely around the whole unit (just around the port area) could be sufficient.

1 Like

agree it would need to wrap around the whole unit like this:

Looks like a good way to have the unit overheat.

all the heat goes into the back cover which is metal and the AP id designed for 50C ambient air and no air-flow. I suspect it would be ok. We could always put some very thin/small holes/slits in the cover if this worked which would still look appealing to help any potential thermal concerns.

My unit is “sitting on a bench”. When unplug it to swap to another WAP… It’s “warm”. Also I can “hear it” when I walk past it.

strange that you can “hear” it as there are no moving parts. It could only be a possible damaged LAN transformer that could cause noise as I would think I have an XV2-2 in my house for many years and never hear anything and it does not get warm. Something seems odd with your device. Do they all act this way?

I only have the one XV2-21.

You can absolutely “hear it” if you are close enough, and it’s passing ANY traffic.

The XV2-2 is quite in the same spot, with the same CAMBIUM L142A driving it.

so you have an XV2-21X and an XV2-2 and the XV2-21X makes noise but the XV2-2 does not?

Yup.

Swapped back to the 21 about an hour ago… As soon as my devices connected… There’s the noise.

so the XV2-21X is the only AP that yea hear “noise” from is that correct?

Well between those 2 APs.

I have heard noise from other WAPs in that spot. Mikrotik and UniF–k specifically.

Can’t recall if the Netgear was audible… will check that later.
Don’t have any Ruckus Here CURRENTLY. (I got cleaned out by an install where EVERYONE missed the delivery.)

1 Like

And back to the “heat thing”.

Sitting on a BENCH. Driven by the L142A.
The bench the unit is sitting on is 70 degrees F about 2 feet from where the AP sits.
The TOP (Would be the underside if the unit was ceiling mounted) of the AP is 91 degrees F.
The side is 107 degrees F.

Tested with my Ryobi temp gun.

so the temperature of the XV2-21X backside (which is metal) is 91deg F (32.8 C) and the side is 107deg F (41.7 C) while the room temperature is about 70F (21.1C). This does not seem out of the ordinary as the metal backside (side without the Cambium logo) is where all the heat is dissipated to (it is a die-cast aluminum block).

Completely missed to follow up on this thread, good to see that the issue is being taken seriously.

We have received our stock of XV2-21X, and if you see the pic, it hardly has any space for the cord to be bent into the ceiling without kinking it or being exposed. The pic has a booted cord, but even if we just field crimp a RJ45 connector on a Cat6A F/UTP Cable, there is no way for a clean job. Which is why I was proposing about the RJ45 port on the AP to be moved on the smaller sides of the cutout, like unifi. They have it on the side, so that cable is not kinked, and they cover the hole as well.

For the present lot, here is the solution I’m thinking of:

Drill a cable size hole above the RJ45 port, Cut a 90 deg to 90 deg p/cord into half, and pass the unterminated side through this in the the ceiling.

Cut a small service hole in the ceiling, centering the mounting plate of the AP, place a Cat6A splice connector (IDC based) connecting the Cat6A field run at one end, and the unterminated end of the angled cord.
This service hole (hidden by the mounting plate) can be used to service the splice if required to maintain.
Below are few pics for the above solution:
RJ45 Angled down to down
Screenshot 2023-01-07 152627

Using a IDC based cable splice will give more permanent job, but if it’s unavailable, one can probably just use a RJ45 female jack/socket with a 28AWG thin cord. But for this, the hole at the ethernet connector end needs to be larger to be able to pass the cord with the RJ45 male connector.

But, eventually, I would appreciate a better physical design of the AP.

You guys are making your own ends at the AP right?

Why not flatten out the wire for a few inches then put an end on.

So it would be flat like those throw away Sonos cables…

Or there is another idea… Those Sonos cables are flat and WHITE. Mayne junction that right before the AP???

Will take a picture when I get home.

How do you plan to connect the Flat cable to the horizontal run in the ceiling ?

Me?

The field techs take my “ideas” and put them into practice.

I was replying and the idea of the flat cable occured while I was typing. Sitting in the passenger seat. Driving to the 3rd basketball game that weekend.

I’ve thought about flat cables, the problem with them is that we would need to use a RJ45 female jack in the ceiling to connect them. Which also means we have to drill a larger hole above the APs ethernet port which will be visible.

Have never used a flat cable before, I’m assuming cutting this into half & terminating on to a IDC based splice connector may result in more losses as the pairs are not twisted together.

To really take into “Chris’s goofy ideas…”

Something like this above the ceiling:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Retractable-Cat5e-Gigabit-Ethernet-Cable/52076566