Change SM from 5.4 to 5.7?

Hi,

As I understand it, with v7.x s/w, you could connect to SM with <ip-adr>/configuration.html and modify the frequency parms to make a 5.4GHz SM with in the 5.7 band, such that the now 5.7 enabled SM is the same as if you bought a 5.7 SM?

Since v8.x, this configuration page is no longer available, but is there another way to achieve the same result? ie change a 5.4 SM to a 5.8 SM?

I cannot downgrade the v8 SM to v7

cheers
E

Once you get to 8.x you will no longer have the option of using the /configuration.html page to use the alternate frequencies. You cannot downgrade from 8.x to 7.x

Hacking is fun. Hacking is a great hobby. However; You are providing a service to customers that depend on your continued professionalism and best practices. Because there is no way to foresee changes like this, it’s best to use the equipment as specified.

Hey Jerry,

thanks for that … yes, I know the hacking thing isn’t the best policy. But in this case, I just want to know if I have to return the box of 5.4 SM and get a new box of 5.7 SM … when all the Motorola people will do is <some s/w trick> them to 5.7??

I had heard that the 5.4 SM and the 5.7 SM are identical, except for s/w?

maybe I’m wrong

cheers
E

P10 SMs should have SW below 8.2. Use the /engineering.cgi to access the menu, there you can check all the frequencies. Then you can upgrade to 8.2, but don’t make any changes in the radio menu after that.

There is a lot of equipment on the market which provides frequencies from 5.2 to 5.8. I don’t see why you don’t want to extend Canopy capabilities. We use 5.4 backhauls as 5.7 using configuration.html menu for the most demanding, high paying customers. Even BH20 which are part of the backbone are set to 5.7. You can’t imagine how simpler it is this way.