checking my epmp knowledge

We've been using epmp 2.4 for a little over a year now and we're quite happy with the performance.  We've recently turned up four sectors on a tower (that previously was using two sectors with flexible mode, man we miss that!)

That being said - moving to gps sync and a required 75/25 has cut flexiblity a little bit but we have been so impressed we wanted to build the entire tower out.  we now have four clients on the two new sectors and we are reusing channels 1 and 11 in front/back configuration  (we are setting customer routers on six)

a few questions:

1)  in setting a preferred access point, how often does the SM scan for this access point?  if we rebooted a sector and the sm moved to a less desirable sector, for example, how long until it reads that preferred access point list and moves back?   Is there any other timer watchdog that would cause it to rescan access

points  anyway if no preferred ap were selected?

2)  assuming a sm sees more than one access point, is there a level that the dominant access point needs to be stronger than the weaker access point?  For example, i'd heard in PMP100, we need the stronger sector to be at least 10 db stronger.  So, if I detect a -74 , the other (assuming backward facing ap) needs to be -84 or weaker

3)  under scheduler, 2.5 ms frames or 5 ms frames?  we aren't colocating with any other 2.4, so from what i've read in this forum, 5 ms will give us slightly more thruput?  I did notice tonight in one of my audits i had one sector on 5 and the other on 2.5.   oops.  why would i do that!

4)  management traffic rate?  mcs0 or mcs1?   From my reading mcs1 is preferred?

Thank you in advance!  And as I posted in an earlier reply, great work on 3.1 guys!   I actually gained a little more functionality / bandwidth on some of my weaker links from this (or maybe the 2.5 ms / 5 ms frame helped,  i dunno).  

Hi,

Glad to hear ePMP1000 helps you with your biseness.

Please find answers regarding your questions below:
1. ePMP does not support passive scanning. It means when SM is registered on AP it cannot perform scanning. So if it is registered on secondary AP it will never know primary AP is up until disconnect happens.
Today we have plans regarding watchdog for primary AP monitoring, but this functional is not delivered yet.

2. If you don’t use preferred table on SM, and more than one AP matchs Network Entry conditions, SM will select just first AP with the highest RSSI.
And in case preferred table is configured SM will select the first one in list.
You can configure RSSI watermark on SM also for more flexible Network Entry management.

3. 5 ms frame will provide you slightly better throughput and 2,5 ms frame will provide you slightly better latency.

4. MCS0 can be used on very long range links or in very noisy environment.
By default MCS1 is used.

Thank you.

1 Like

probably a stupid question but weak signals from an SM does not affect overall performance of the sector does it?  I know in traditional wifi it does, but this is not traditional wifi.

thanks.

Yes, you are absolutely right, SM with low RSSI cannot affect overall ePMP sector performance.

Thank you.