Cluster without GPS

Is it possible to run Canopy AP cluster with syncronization from one of AP’s via GPS sync cable to CMMmicro?

Why would you want to? The GPS antenna comes with the CMM. If you’re getting a CMM Micro, everything you need to attach the GPS antenna comes with it (except the cable perhaps, I don’t remember if I had to buy that seperate).

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000303023896

hmmmm,

A bit of a “worst case” scenerio, but a good point none-the-less.

I think the question is: can one ap in a cluster be the sync master for the others without using a cmm. yes it works fine

md, but how to provide sync to some AP’s without CMM?

you only need a cmm and gps if you are coordinating with another canopy system. We never use cmm’s. We always make one of the ap’s in a cluster the master and run sync cables to the others. They are set to receive sync through the timing port. I have seen no reason to sync to backhauls feeding clusters since we are using 2.4 ap and 5.x bh. We do sync backhauls on the same band on the same tower by using one master to generate sync and then feed sync to the other bh module thorugh a timing cable.

Is it possible one AP to generate the sync, and the CMM to receive it trough the timing port? The solution with sync cables isn’t working for me because I can’t find RJ12 shielded connectors in the moment and form time to time we have to climb to the tower to fix the grounding.

The CMM I have is the most expensive switch ever because the GPS isn’t working and there is no way that I can remove the CMM for service…

MD,

How are you running the sync cables from the timing master to multiple timing slaves? We use a sync cable when feeding an AP from a SM on a remote site, but since the sync cable contains TX & RX pairs I am confused as to how to feed more than one timing slave?

Tim

md wrote:
you only need a cmm and gps if you are coordinating with another canopy system. We never use cmm's. We always make one of the ap's in a cluster the master and run sync cables to the others. They are set to receive sync through the timing port. I have seen no reason to sync to backhauls feeding clusters since we are using 2.4 ap and 5.x bh. We do sync backhauls on the same band on the same tower by using one master to generate sync and then feed sync to the other bh module thorugh a timing cable.

Can you give us an example of how you wired the multiple units together? Like others, I am confused about how you mate up the tx/rx pairs if using more than two units.

Dan

I’m using FTP cables with RJ11 connectors on one side. On the other side just connect the wires witch are connected in pin one and six. Also connect the grounding wires and make sure the grounding works.

My English is bad, especially when I’m using technical terms, so here is the picture (yellow cable)

YUP JUST TIE ALL PINS 1 AND 6 TOGETHER AND MAKE ONE AP THE SYNC GENERATOR AND OTHERS TO RECEIVE THROUGH TIMING PORT. THERE IS NO DIFFERENMCE IN TX-RX YOU JUST HAVE TO GET THE SYNC SIGNAL ONTO THOSE PINS. THE SLAVE UNITS WILL SAY RECEIVING SYNC OR RED COLORED NO SYNC!!