CMM Ethernet Ports

Maybe I have missed something, but why isnt there a way do just disable an Ethernet port on a CMM? I know you can turn off the POE to a Canopy device, but there are certain circumstances that there are feed links, and/or other CMMs interconnected to a CMM. As in other managed switches, besides all the auto-negotiated and hard set speeds, there is the simple ‘disabled’ option. This could be very useful for troubleshooting and other conditions that occur on non-Canopy connected devices. Also, if you do need to stop traffic to a particular AP or backhaul, it would probably be much less disruptive to the network and faster to re-enable the port if the AP didnt have to reboot. This could also be extremely useful for a manual failover to a backup link if you knew how to make it work properly. If I missed something in a release, please advise…

I understand and agree 100%

yup, thats a very good idea…all my backhaul links are non-canopy, so disabling the connection requires a truckroll…

This “disable” PoE is available on CMMmicro, so I’m going to guess that you are talking about the CMM2…correct?

The bad news is that the CMM2 (heavier box with AC power directly into the box) is an older device (like a Pentium 2)…which worked well (like a Pentium 2) in its time and for many present applications, too…

The good news is that the CMMmicro (smaller box but has external power supply) is newer device (like a Pentium 4) with web interface and the ability to enable/disable PoE via the same web interface…

But I bet you already knew that…

Charles T. Cranford
CTCA.info
Canopy Technical Training Partner
Motorola Authorized Canopy Class schedules are located at:
http://www.canopywireless.com/support/t … p?region=1