Feature Request: Cnmaestro Template supporting variable watchdog IP

Greetings all,

We have about 5000 ePMP radios on our network. We recently thought about enabling the watchdog feature on them to allow automatic reboots in cases where we experience equipment hangs - reducing need for field intervention. Given the number of radios, the idea is to push the change through a template via Cnmaestro. Again we want to have a different watchdog IP set for each radio (in this case each radio is to have its own management gateway IP as the watchdog IP).

The template we have now can only set a single IP address for all radios. The problem with this is if the single IP host gets a problem and is down for a few hours, radios will perform the watchdog action repeatedly for the time the host is down.

Can we have a feature added so that a single template can be programmed to vary watchdog IP using some kind of function that calls the management gateway IP (or any other IP specific to the device) and makes it the watchdog IP as template is executed on each radio? Cambium support said this is currently not possible.

For now we have to login into over 5000 radios, one by one, and change watchdog IP or edit our template over 5000 times, each time as we push it to the next device.

"device_props": {
    "watchdogEnable": "1",
    "watchdogMode": "1",
    "watchdogTargetIPAddress": "1.1.1.1",
    "watchdogPingInterval": "10",
    "watchdogPingRetries": "4"
}

Hello Pshemo,

thank you for the reply.

Firstly, this script will make the watchdog IP 1.1.1.1 on all devices (This is exactly what we are trying to avoid). secondly, our radios are configured in bridge mode, and can’t reach any IP that requires an internet connection.

Do u have any IP which is reachable from those devices ?

yes.

I need a variable watchdog IP please, not a static IP. I know how to set a static watchdog IP.

Not possible, this is parameter not variable.

If your look through the initial post, I am raising this a feature request. Paragraph 3, line 1.

For context:

So I guess the feature request here is to be able to write something like this:

"watchdogTargetIPAddress": "$GATEWAY_IP_ADDRESS",
}
1 Like

While there isn’t support to automatically insert the gateway IP address, replacement variables can be used insert device-unique values with a single template instead of changing the template itself each time.

"watchdogTargetIPAddress": "${GATEWAY_IP_ADDRESS}",
}

This example has no default value for GATEWAY_IP_ADDRESS so each device will require that a value for GATEWAY_IP_ADDRESS be set before the template can be applied. This can be done either through the UI or the API.

2 Likes

yes please. so that when the template is executing on any device, the GATEWAY_IP_ADDRESS is called and inserted automatically. editing the sample template over and over again for thousands of devices is really impractical.

1 Like