cnMedusa - Go Massive (Live Stream)

@Cambium_SteveD wrote:

Not a chipset.  Just FPGA, a quad core processor and sweat ;)

Ya thats what i thought so custom silicone

I saw that too CMM5 has been something everyones been asking for as the old cmm leaves a lot to be desired and hasn't been updated in forever, but then they didnt talk about it :(

Don't worry, there will be lots of info on the CMM5 in the coming couple of months...

And it's not custom silicon as such.  It's an "off the shelf" SoC... it's what's coded inside that makes all the difference!!

Go Massive!

2 Likes

The recording of the streaming video session will be available soon.

Not soon enough. Some of us had to be on a customer conference call instead of watching the live stream. :-(

I'm a little confuse.

450i support 250 Mbs @ 40 mhz width
450m support 400 Mb/s @ 20 mhz width. Does 450m support 40 mhz width?

If I remember well, the new SM will support  2 x 40 mhz channel width non-adjacent for 80 mhz bonded. Probably the 450m already support it so it should also support 40 mhz width.

If I understand well the  "Data rate technology advancement horizon" sheet, I have a print screen of it, 750 mb/s will be possible with this new SM that will support .

400 Mb/s @ 20 mhz, 750 Mb/s @80 Mhz, that seem wrong to me. What would be the performance @40 Mhz width ? Did I got something wrong ?

1 Like

I shared a lot about the vision of the platform and the roadmap that we're working toward.

Today, the 450i supports a 20 MHz channel (30 MHz if you load the beta software), and will support 40 MHz in the near future.

In September, when the 450m begins shipping, we will support 20 MHz channels only, and can support more than 400 Mbps.  The PMP 450m will also support 40 MHz channels in the future.

Adding the PMP 450m or replacing a 450 or 450i AP does not change the capabilities of the SM in any way, but results in higher sector capacity.

We are working hard toward advancing the SM technology as well, and you'll hear more  about this towards the beginning of next year.

1 Like

I'm honestly hoping you guys will put a high priority right after 40mhz of competing with the carrier aggregation to compete vs LTE directly with better mimo. Matt you say the 450m will ship with 20mhz support, and later 40mhz does that mean your not porting the existing 30mhz channel to pmp450m?

The Recording is now availabile HERE.

1 Like

OMG.

Did he really say $6995 ?

Thank you so much Ray and Matt for the presentation! Was that Ray's voice I heard for the voice over for the PMP evolution bit near the beginning? Nice work on the entire presentation guys!

Just a few things I'm very excited about...

- The continued support for backwards compatibility with 450 SM's and the ease and simplicity of the product SKU's in general for the 450 line. Compared to other manufacturers, you guys make it super easy to know what to order and once you buy something you know you'll be able to use it for litterally YEARS to come!!

- 3.X support, CBRS... we have a very large PMP450 3.65 network (most of our Cambium deployment is on 3.65) and are so excited to hear that you guys are planning a 450m for this band!

- Channel Aggregation aka carrier aggregation aka CA features coming to 450m! This is the future and I've been asking for it for quite some time now! Please consider doing channel widths other then 20 or 40Mhz... 10+10, or 10+10+10+10 would be a welcome addition! Also please consider doing some dynamic CA too!

- The possibility of it coming for 2.5GHz! If you do this, PLEASE consider making the operation for it for 2.4GHz unlicensed and the ability to prove you have a license and purchase a license key to unlock EBS 2.5-2.6GHz/B41 support. You could kill two birds with one stone here!

Thanks again guys, really looking forward to checking out this radio when it comes out in September!

1 Like

Can you tell us a little bit more about the differences between the 'Limited' vs 'Full' 450m versions?

Streakwave has this on their website for the "Limited" version:

The “Limited” model numbers of the 450m will only perform in “Sector Mode.” They are limited to this mode of operation. This AP represents a performance increase over a standard 450 AP, and can be considered “MU-MIMO Ready.” There will be a demo mode that will allow the radio to operate in MU-MIMO mode for a limited time. After this demo time period expires, the key must be purchased to enable MU-MIMO operation permanently.

@Jacob Turner wrote:

Streakwave has this on their website for the "Limited" version:

The “Limited” model numbers of the 450m will only perform in “Sector Mode.” They are limited to this mode of operation. This AP represents a performance increase over a standard 450 AP, and can be considered “MU-MIMO Ready.” There will be a demo mode that will allow the radio to operate in MU-MIMO mode for a limited time. After this demo time period expires, the key must be purchased to enable MU-MIMO operation permanently.

When you say 'performance increase' this to me would mean that you would just get the benefits of having beam forming with increase DL/UL SnR, and not necessarily a sector capacity increase... it would still be the same performance as a PMP450i AP?

What confused me at 29:32 minutes of the presentation where we can see non contigus channel aggregation 40+40. 

Good work team Cambium on launch of cnMedusa. I have few questions related to it , would appreciateyour feedback

1. Why is it so big in size, with rhese dimensions i assume 3.5 GHz will be more than 3 ft in width, correct ?

2. How many active RF chains are present, in other words how is it different form having 2 PMP450 placed next to each with spatial seperation

3. Does it support beamsteering like Radwin JET or real beamforming. 

4. How does beamsteering handle multipath ?

Thanks

Akay

Hi,

The antenna dimensions are determined in the horiztonal by the separation between the chains needed for spatial multiplexing, and purely by the antenna gain in the vertical.

There are 14 RF chains: 7xH and 7xV.

The PMP450m supports true spatial multiplexing, i.e. instantaneous concurrent beamforming to dynamic groups of SMs.

A small degree of multipath may be tolerable, but spatial multiplexing performs best in LOS links and our performance predictions are based on LOS deployment scenarios.

1 Like

Thanks Steve and appreciate your detailed feedback, few follow-up questions

1. when you mention 7 V and 7 H chain, does it mean 7 Dual polarized (V/H) RFIC

each with it's own PA/LNA/Filters etc and all signal from the multiple RF chains are processed in the

digital domain of baseband

2. What will be the expected size for 3 GHz

3. Can  multiple PMP450m base node in the vicinty use the same frequency channel

Thanks 

1. was wondering the same, hope they will go into more detail on the mimo since its one of the features far outstepping even lte-a

2. totally wondering this too as we operate in 3 as well

3. i would assume so they talked about being able to colocate and it's based on the same gps sync tech from the canopy450 would be shocked if they dropped co-located channels and synchronization as supported considering their meaning this to be a drop in replacement for existing 450 ap's so ABAB still needs to be supported.

One more related question.

How is the EIRP and Tx power per spatial link calculated ?