CNUT 4.0 Issue

When I open CNUT 4.0, I receive an error message that states

Failed to start HTTP Server:
java.net.SocketException: Permission denied

If I click OK, the program seems to run without any problems. I’m running this on Ubuntu 10.10 64bit (I know it’s not officially supported but it has worked in the past). Any ideas what could be causing this?

Which JRE are you using? I think OpenJDK has some compatibility issues. Of course this is aside from the bit-ness. Check this out: http://askubuntu.com/questions/110852/c … it-version

1 Like

I figured it was pretty much a Java issue, and given the issues with Java’s security the past couple of weeks, I’m becoming less of a fan of it.

What user are you running it as? Only root has permission to start a service listening to ports below 1024.

That said, I’m not sure what it even uses a local HTTP server for, unless some of the gear it can manage is directed to the CNUT-running machine to download its own updates via HTTP. (normally that kind of arrangement uses FTP or TFTP AFAIK)

j

newkirk wrote:
What user are you running it as? Only root has permission to start a service listening to ports below 1024.

That said, I'm not sure what it even uses a local HTTP server for, unless some of the gear it can manage is directed to the CNUT-running machine to download its own updates via HTTP. (normally that kind of arrangement uses FTP or TFTP AFAIK)

j

I've tried it as root and normal user.

I'm not that worried about it. As a matter of fact, given that I'm not sure why it's trying to do a HTTP server and what it's for, I prefer that it not be running (at least until I learn more about it).