Competition - looks like Canopy

Hello folks - I was just driving by one of my customer’s homes, and saw that my competition was there. Needless to say, they hadd taken down my Canopy 900 unit and put up a all-in-one radio that looks a lot like a Canopy module. White container that sits up right, with a black sticker on it.

Anybody know what this might be? Sorry, I couldn’t get a picture.

Something makes me think that Trango’s PMP architecture and product looked similar to Canopy’s, especially the SMs.

http://www.trangobroadband.com/

Matt

Looks like its Ubiquiti. Cheap stuff, too:

http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/cpe_solution_overview.jpg

I cannot compete with CPE prices like that using Canopy.

Just wait till he gets 30 - 50 people on an AP, it wont work so well at all.

Yeah, it seems to be a mixed bag with 802.11 WISPs. Some claim they work fantastic, others (including myself) had very poor luck with them. We moved away from 802.11 in favor of Canopy and I will never look back.

Every experience I’ve come across the Canopy system is much more reliable and consistent. You can do some things with MikroTik to help 802.11 performance and mitigate some of the pitfalls, but I don’t know about Ubiquiti.

I had some success cases with Mikrotik and Ubiquiti but you have to consider that 802.11 can’t achieve Canopy performance in terms of number of clients.
In my experience, with 802.11 you can have about 30 clients while Canopy can handle more than 100 with no issues.

BigTrumpet wrote:
I had some success cases with Mikrotik and Ubiquiti but you have to consider that 802.11 can't achieve Canopy performance in terms of number of clients.
In my experience, with 802.11 you can have about 30 clients while Canopy can handle more than 100 with no issues.

I agree. I think 802.11 stuff is fine and great for short distances and low numbers.

Example of a good place to do this is a potential customer we have coming up.

They own an apartment complex with 48 units on about 12 buildings. We are looking at backhauling in building, or every few buildings with our Canopy, then rebroadcasting the signal over commercial 802.11 stuff.