Competitor Interference causing re regs like mad

So we have had a competitor go live near one of our 900 subs. Their radio is reregisterin (800 times in a day) Oddly though the customer has yet to complain.

This was a custome install on top of a grain silo to be able to get to our AP (problem is you can see jesus from up that high)

On the AP eval I see:

Index: 0 Frequency: 906.00 MHz ESN: 0a-00-3e-94-65-89 Region: United States
Jitter: 4 Power Level: -81 dB Beacon Count: 12 BRcvW: 1 FECEn: 0
Type: Multipoint Avail: 1 Age: 0 Lockout: 0 RegFail 0 Range: 0 feet TxBER: 1 EBcast: 0
Session Count: 0 NoLUIDS: 0 OutOfRange: 0 AuthFail: 0 EncryptFail: 0 Rescan Req: 0
NoVC’s: 0 VCRsvFail: 0 VCActFail: 0
FrameNumber: 1022 SectorID: 0 Color Code: 69 BeaconVersion: 1 SectorUserCount: 12
NumULHalfSlots: 12 NumDLHalfSlots: 36 NumULContSlots: 1
SM PPPoE: Supported
Index: 1 Frequency: 906.00 MHz ESN: 0a-00-3e-94-45-30 Region: United States
Jitter: 5 Power Level: -77 dB Beacon Count: 5 BRcvW: 1 FECEn: 0
Type: Multipoint Avail: 1 Age: 0 Lockout: 0 RegFail 0 Range: 23520 feet TxBER: 1 EBcast: 0
Session Count: 25 NoLUIDS: 0 OutOfRange: 0 AuthFail: 0 EncryptFail: 0 Rescan Req: 0
NoVC’s: 0 VCRsvFail: 0 VCActFail: 0
FrameNumber: 836 SectorID: 0 Color Code: 20 BeaconVersion: 1 SectorUserCount: 15
NumULHalfSlots: 19 NumDLHalfSlots: 28 NumULContSlots: 1
SM PPPoE: Supported

We are the second one CC 20.

Since they are broadcasting on the same channel, just different CC, the re regs are happenning. (I havent had a chance to track them down to talk about spectrum sharing, though I suspect this is not a very serious WISP since theyre using CC 69 for their first canopy POP, I suspect its a nearby dying WISP whos been using junk up til this point)

Anyhow, save changing my frequency all together, is there anything I can do here? Could I step up one notch to 907 on the AP and lock out 906 on the SM? We do have another POP about to go live which will serve this customer without a problem, but I would prefer to not climb this silo, and I need future reference for interference mitigation.

thanks in advance for any help.

How about scheduling whitening and transmit frame spreading?

Is your AP GPS synced? Do you know if there’s is synced? That could help a bit too.

yes, synced via syncpipe

You’ll need to co-ordinate or you’ll just go round and round with them.

You MUST coordinate those APs. You both need to have sync. You also need to set your Max distance, Downlink Percentage, and Control slots to the same. Its also useful to use the same encryption settings with 900. Also since you are both on 906 this customer needs to see one of those APs at least 10db stronger than the other or the customer will not work. Either you or the other person need to change frequencies (915 or 924) too!

keefe007 wrote:
How about scheduling whitening and transmit frame spreading?

Is your AP GPS synced? Do you know if there's is synced? That could help a bit too.

FYI, schedule whitening does nothing on 900mhz & 2.4Ghz bands.

the first thing id do is move to 924 and uncheck 906 since that the only other AP it can hear. then if they spread over your freq eventually you can try to co-ordinate with them.

So now, this issue has gotten out of hand,

Another site is having issues now due to another WISP (not the same as the last one)

Its crazy what Im seeing here, Up to 6 or so APs becoming visible, crazy channel spacing, hosed spectrum.

They are mostly on 906 and 920, but its like theyre hopping around, they have multiple APs witht he same channel/CC, differing control slots. it says anywhere between 2 and 52 sector users on the AP eval page.

this morning it got really ugly, all of a sudden there were at least two of their APs on the same channel, same color code as one of our APs, I suspect this was a directed attack on us from them. I took some measures to get around this, which like gave indication we were taking reactive measures. All of a sudden POOOF! all the APs were gone and the spectrum cleared.

Now tonite theres a couple of their APs showing, but nothing like before

I havent had time to do a drive to find their gear so we can communicate with them, but from what I saw this am, they wont be interested in playing nice (in which case I have a device)

What the hell does a guy do in a situation like this?'

If they wont play ball, Im pretty confident we can at minimum go to licensed band, but kill the 900 spectrum in the meantime, then go actively persue their customers.

This is why you should not share the same sales guy as a competitor,