Configuring customers and devices using SOAP

There seems to be a hole in the documentation concerning the structure of prizm or the procedure to accomplish a complete configuration using SOAP.

I am attempting to create a customer and device. I want to specify a device IP, netmask, gateway and a bandwidth plan. I also want to link the customer and device. I have figured out how to link the customer and device. I can give the device an IP. I can’t find an action that has a field for netmask, gateway, bandwidth plan or the like.

It appears that using setElementConfig I could likely set the bandwidth of the SM directly rather than using prizm’s plan setup but confirmation would be nice before I burn hours trying to make something work that won’t. I have scoured the attributes and can only find the management IP, Network Default Gateway Address (which seems to be part of the NAT config), and some other sundry items. No mgmt gateway or netmask. If set can be used for this, what are the keys and can I set any Attribute listed in the MIB?

Have you tried the Define Configurations menu under Network? You can configure and tweak just about anything from there.

Nicolaus Wegner wrote:
Have you tried the Define Configurations menu under Network? You can configure and tweak just about anything from there.

Are you saying to define a config in the GUI, then apply that using SOAP?

Have you looked at the SDK Topic called: “Element Attributes ^” ? This lists all configurable attributes for Elements as is supported by Prizm via the Configuration Interface.

Note: Not All Fields can be set by Prizm via the Template Configuration Functionality. In general, those that relate to network connectivity are not typically available via the template approach, as setting them via templates may result in Prizm losing communication to the devices.

The 2 functions for applying configurations via SOAP are:

setElementConfig: Apply a list of parameters
and
setElementConfigSet : Apply a predefines list of parameters. This can also be used to apply a predefined Bandwidth Plan, referenced by Name.

I have scoured the attributes
Not sure if you read my whole post but I have repeatedly delved into the docs provided. My hope was that something was overlooked in the docs as I stated
There seems to be a hole in the documentation concerning the structure of prizm or the procedure to accomplish a complete configuration using SOAP.

I do appreciate the help, but when I mention several times that I have done what you suggest and provide attribute names that are close to what I want but not what I want, you can tell I have more than just "looked through" the docs. I'll post here if I find that I can set any OID with prizm or just the subset they allow. Meanwhile I believe I have found a less efficient but acceptable means to accomplish my task.

The list of attributes/OIDs/APIs in the SDK is Auto-Generated at build time. The attributes listed are based on the contents of the Prizm device templates (which ultimately control what can be set by the Tool via the configuration templates capability). So, if it is not listed in the SDK, it cannot be set by the default deployment of Prizm.

However, all Configuration Attributes/OIDs that can be set are controlled via the Device Templates (See the Customization portion of the SDK as a primer into these. They are basically modifiable .xml files).

If you find that you need to control an item that has not been provided by the default deployment, you can always add to them via the Device Templates. (By default, we have attempted to provide all attributes but filtered from a EMS perspective vs an Installation perspective. E.g. IP address is one of the items we don’t enable via templates, because, its easy to blast out the same address to multiple elements at the same time via the GUI.)

Caveat: If you do this, it is recommended that you maintain a backup of your template files, so that, when you upgrade Prizm, it does not overwrite your modified template files. You will need to manually restore your items/changes to the upgraded templates deployed by Prizm.

As you work with the API, we are open to suggestions for additional APIs as well as documentation improvements to make your integration smoother.

w18638 wrote:
As you work with the API, we are open to suggestions for additional APIs as well as documentation improvements to make your integration smoother.

Thanks so much for your reply. The only hole in the API or docs I have found is in adding elements for management. I'll put that in another question to try and keep topics in line. I think configuring networks to hand out IP, subnet, and gateway's automatically is the route I'll take.

I have read the section on customizing templates but the further I get into the SDK and prizm the more I think the defaults are sufficient if you use all the tools.