Conserve 900mhz Bandwidth

We have one AP with an omni and at some times our speeds are a bit less than desired. We have our customers limited to 900up/down. I understand the aggregate is 4meg… what are some things a person can do to keep unneeded traffic from cluttering up the pipe? We’ve got more than enough internet bandwidth to go around…

what would you classify as unneeded traffic…

if you are talking about music/mp3, p2p, etc… you can restrict that traffic either by denying it altogether or shaping/prioritisation on your backend.

However you need to restrict based on AP bandwidth and not your internet bandwidth.

The way TCP works it will cause the actual client machines/programs at the SM’s to back off or slow down.

i have never seen a 900mhz link go much above 1mb on a good day, are u using the advantage or the standard stuff?

All 900 is Advantage.

I am looking through a stand of trees at about 6 miles with a 13dB Yagi and I consistently get 1700k/512k. At night when the RF noise levels go down I get 2400k/560k

The first thing you can do is to NAT every subscriber - either with the SM in NAT mode, or a broadband router. All it takes is one machine to start sending out network wide broadcasts to flood the network with garbage. One starts talking, the rest answer back, everyone starts broadcasting and answering and there goes your bandwidth.

Second, use a monitoring program such a Cacti (see this link http://motorola.canopywireless.com/supp … php?t=2632) to monitor the traffic on the network. See if there is a user sucking up BW running P2P or some other hog application.

We get 2.8 down and 800 or so up on 900 SM’s when they are opened full throttle. It is very important that you monitor you bandwidth usage on AP’s to look for issues that may arise.

I thought all 900 MHz were P9, not advantage.

Is there a 2x multiplier in 900 MHz?

KiBBS wrote:
I thought all 900 MHz were P9, not advantage.

Is there a 2x multiplier in 900 MHz?

Both my 900 AP and SM are Advantage. And yes, 2X is available. I can get roughly 4.5Mbps total between the up/down, so I have it set to 85% down giving me roughly 4Mbps down and 512Kbps up. Actual speeds on my last link test were:

Downlink RATE: 4086272 bps
Uplink RATE: 514560 bps

and the session page includes:

Rate : VC 18 Rate 2X/2X

This link is 1.34 miles through some foilage, including pines.

Doug

Very nice Doug. I wish I could get what our system is capable of. The chainsaw is looking good.

Yes, all 900 are Advantage capable of 2X

i have a 900 site that is not advantage…maybe thats why i dont get much bandwidth through it

I stand corrected - I apologize.

I am looking through a stand of trees at about 6 miles with a 13dB Yagi and I consistently get 1700k/512k. At night when the RF noise levels go down I get 2400k/560k

The first thing you can do is to NAT every subscriber - either with the SM in NAT mode, or a broadband router. All it takes is one machine to start sending out network wide broadcasts to flood the network with garbage. One starts talking, the rest answer back, everyone starts broadcasting and answering and there goes your bandwidth.

Currently we only have about 50 customers (we're still playing around before launching this stuff hardcore we want it to work a little better)but they all have about 99.2% uptime, but the 3 minute downtimes sometimes are a killer for businesses if it happens on at 5 o'clock on a Friday for example. All of our SM's are configured using NAT currently. However I have a few SM's with NAT disabled because the customer has a static IP address. In order to do that, I disable NAT and give the PC/Router a public IP.

The downfall to that is my firewall is picking up HUGE traffic increases from one of my customers with a static IP...he is cranking out bit torrents like it's nobody's business. His traffic is over 800% of what my 2nd highest customer is. What I've done is limit him to 1650/356 so that he only gets 1.5/256 (Which is what he's paying for). However it still seems that he's owning my bandwidth. I have 2 T1 lines transporting to a DS3 circuit so effectively I have 3mbps up/down. I can get 2.5 up/down without him online but once he's been online for more than 15 minutes (long enough for his peers/seeds to reconnect) my bandwidth system-wide goes down to about 1.5/700. When I reboot his module it instantly goes back to 2.5 up/down. According to my firewall he's cranking out some traffic through all the bit-torrent ports.

I can't piss the customer off TOO much because he knows a ton of people and has already got me 15+ customers. So port filtering would be an option but what makes the most sense to you guys?

What are you guys doing to people like this, and what kind of circuits do you have backing up your Canopy? We have 2 T1 transports and are probably going to invest in 2 more eventually to pipe to our DS3 circuit in another city. Can you think of anything that might make more sense? Some guy tried to tell me buying a business class DSL from a local phone company (6mb/6mb) with a proxy server would be just as good...I don't see how?

Monthly Transfer Limits.

This is how I hope to solve this issue. I say hope to as I do not have any single users maxing my bandwidth at the moment. I am still on one T1 planning to order a bonded 2 x T1 this week.

I would call him and ask that he lay off the P2P during the day and only run it from 10pm to 6am.

He is probably a reasonable guy, but if he is not let him know that your only other alternaive to ban P2P.

Yeah - that’s basically what I was thinking but didn’t want to jump to an extreme if there was an easier way.

Thanks~

If you are using the RATE & BURST variables in the SM to control his traffic, set the BURST equal to the RATE to cap his traffic at the designated rate. Now that he is using the rate he has purchased, you need you review your usage policies before you act.

My first action would be to block OUTBOUND P-2-P at your router as this will limit non-customers (i.e. the Internet) from hogging your bandwidth and could proactively keep you from receiving an unacceptable use notice from your ISP. Often the customer never notices this filter and for those who insist upon hosting a server… it may be an up sale opportunity to a business class of service to support the outbound traffic (our user polices address copyright and other potential violations).

Yes talk to the guy. Explain to him that he is basically using an entire T1 for nowhere what it costs you. See if the bittorrent client he is using can limit uploads/ set a max connection on simultaneous connections. Give the 3000pps limit on the AP he could get you in trouble running BT all day, as BT traffic is mainly lots of small little packets. If this was one of our customers he’d either be put in place quickly or I’d be getting our equipment. One happy customer is not worth several unhappy customers. Keep in mind his heavy usage will limit the maximum amount of customers you can have on that AP. You may also consider purchasing a device that limits the maximum number of simultaneous connections any given IP on your network can have.

BM