CPU at 50% and 100% with r201 and r200 respectively

A recent issue, customers are calling in to complain that they are losing connectivity to the Internet. When we look in cnMaestro we see that on r200 routers CPU useage is flatlined at 100%, on r201 routers the CPU is flatlined at 50%. A reboot of the router seems to "fix" the issue for random amounts of time, from 8 to 48 hours.

Some examples, r201, software version 4.5 r-7

r200, 4.5 r-7

This isn't just one or two routers, it is dozens spread across our network. Any suggestions?

Do any of your interfaces have public IPs? Do any of those have management characteristics?

uberdome: Yes, all of the routers have public IPs.

Help me out with the second question, I'm not sure what you mean by "Do any of those have management characteristics?".

T.

Todd, 

The interface that gets the public address... if you check it under Network -> WAN, does the "Service" description include "MANAGEMENT"?

If so, try moving Management off that interface. I haven't tested all of the scenarios yet, but I think that will work. 

-Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the example pic! 

See attached for a representative sample of one of our routers.

Our Service just says "Internet".

T.

I am not sure if this is related but we are seeing the same 50/100% CPU useage on some of our R series routers. When I look they are all using the WAN interface MANAGEMENT_VOICE_INTERNET.

What we are having problems with is that with many customers we have a Cisco VoIP (SPA122/ SPA2102) box connected to one of the LAN ports and the VoIP just loses service occasionally. These are R201W and R190W routers.

Should we switch the WAN interface to INTERET as suggested?

@Todd Wilson wrote:
...Our Service just says "Internet"...

Todd,

I don't happen to have experience with the problem in that context. Do contact support about it if you haven't already.

1 Like

@Dave Bradich wrote:

I am not sure if this is related but we are seeing the same 50/100% CPU useage on some of our R series routers. When I look they are all using the WAN interface MANAGEMENT_VOICE_INTERNET.

What we are having problems with is that with many customers we have a Cisco VoIP (SPA122/ SPA2102) box connected to one of the LAN ports and the VoIP just loses service occasionally. These are R201W and R190W routers.

Should we switch the WAN interface to INTERET as suggested?

Dave,

Do you have public IPs on that WAN interface? In our system, we had some residential configurations (CGNAT, management on the native WAN port) that got pushed to some accounts with public IPs (Which normally have Management on a separate VLAN in our system). Those routers that had management on the public IP pegged at 100% periodically and would drop back to normal regularly. We couldn't check the logs because of the 100% CPU.

I would suggest trying to put management on its own interface and see if that solves your problem. However, I have not seen the 50% issue, so your issue may be the same as the OP rather than the same as mine.

-Chris

Yes, they all have public IP's.

Not sure what you mean to try putting Managamnet on it's own interface.

Here is what we have now.