db level

most of you say you wouldnt put in a module if it was not under -80 db reguardless of the rssi and jitter i think. my question is do you mean on the ap side or the sm side when making that decision? cause i notice my ap side is always a lot lower than the sm side.

Also what is the lowest rssi and highest jitter you would attempt to leave at a customers house. 900 mhz

kmeadows
Info-Ed Inc.

When we first started,-75 and jitter of 2-3 worked great 100% up and down.
Now with several others starting wireless companies. -75 the sm won’t even register.

We shoot for -66 or better for a good strong link.

It really depends on your noise floor.

we have a low noise floor with no wireless compitition just dsl and hills

It depends on the noise floor.

We shoot for at least 10 dB above the noise floor. So if the floor is at -90, then recieving a -80 dB signal is acceptable… but not if the noise floor is -75.

either the AP or the SM.

On one side of the mountain the noise floor is below -88db so -78 is OK. On the other side the noise floor is about -78 so -68 is about as low as we can go and maintain a link.

Past about 3 miles your ability to get around the edge of a hill rapidly diminishes. Through a hill, no way.

Trees, the linit is about 5 miles for us if its just a single stand. Heavy foliage reduces the range rapidly.

higher gain antennas can make up the difference.

As you do installations, you will start to get a feel for what will be a good link, and what will not. you will also figure out what the minimums are for your particular network.