Delayed Registration

I am having a strange problem with an SM, and I have seen this only once before. The problem is that the SM is great signal, low jitter and all, but if I make any changes to the SM and reboot it remotely, it often takes about 15 minutes for it to finally register with the AP. And once it is up and running, it is solid as a rock! We have 30 SM’s on this AP and non show this behavior.

When I am at the subscriber site aiming the SM, it has no problems registering, but if I reboot it remotely, I do not see a session for it on the AP, and I can not access it via http for 15 minutes. We also use Solarwinds to monitor SM’s and that’s why I know that generally it takes about 15 minutes for the SM to finally show up as a node.

Any idea why this may be?

Do you have the SM set to come up in aiming mode or operational mode?

Canopy_Support wrote:
Do you have the SM set to come up in aiming mode or operational mode?

Well, I believe that the default is to have them come up in Aim mode is it not? That is how all of our SM's are set, meaning we do not change that default. And as I said none of the other SM's behave this way.

Are you saying that regardless, we should change this so that they come up in Operation Mode? I mean that makes sense, but seeing that this was the default and we have not had a problem with any other SM, we have not been changing this.

I think that Operational mode is actually the default but I could be wrong. If it is in Aim mode and the unit sees a hard wired Ethernet connection then it will go to operational mode right away. If it doesn’t see an Ethernet connection then the RF will shut off.

This probably isn’t your problem.

What rev is the AP and SM running?

Does this SM user have a router between them and the radio? I just recently has a problem where the PC’s NIC took about 10-15 minutes to establish a link to the router (2 different routers). If we did not have a router in there, we would have seen this behavior.

Jerry

Canopy_Support wrote:
I think that Operational mode is actually the default but I could be wrong. If it is in Aim mode and the unit sees a hard wired Ethernet connection then it will go to operational mode right away. If it doesn’t see an Ethernet connection then the RF will shut off.

This probably isn’t your problem.

What rev is the AP and SM running?

Ahh yes! I believe that is the answer! I was wondering about that, because both SM's that have displayed this behavior have that in common, which is that they may not alwyas be plugged into an ethernet device at the other end (new installations or else vacation homes, etc.)

And yes, the default IS Start up in Aim mode, but i guess what is seems to be doing is that if it does not have an ethernet link present, for some reason it takes about 15 minutes for it to register (that is to kick into operation mode). Otherwise they show up right away. I assume that if I change the setting to Startup in Operational mode, then this will be corrected. I will try that.

Thanks.