Diagnostics on a possible failing radio

Hello to all,

We have an 8 radio BH20 setup that is fairly simple.

Basically, one of the last set of radios (this setup forks at the back half of the pipe) has gone down . It initially (for about a day and a half before the shot failed) was reporting bandwidth of 3.5 MB (1/2) of the other radios.

The Radios are setup to be 10MB, with a 90% uplink, so normally the rest of the radios are running in the range of 7 to 7 1/2 MB. RSSI and Jitter for the pair in question was 710 and jitter of 2 to 3. (this was at 3.5 MB, for about a day), and then after a reboot, the slave stopped registering with the master.

The firmware on all is 7.0 (and due for an upgrade post mortem )

I have reconfirmed all settings for both radios as well as performed a local spectrum analysis. Color codes, frequency, (no encryption) and all other settings are identical.

Our intent is to first try alignment, swap, test and try again. Both radios respond on the ethernet port, and logs show only resets and firmware boots.

Is there a way to confirm beyond what i have attempted that the radio may have or be in the process of failing? The spectrum analysis at one of the radios worked, (supposedly), but I have yet to be able to determine if this is leaning towards an alignment issue or a hardware issue.

(I would say alignment, but before the radio stopped registering with the master, it had the same or better RSSI and Jitter as it’s sister shot, both which are 6.2 miles (approx 175 feet high, flat terrain, 60 foot tree line). I would have assumed that the RSSI and Jitter would have dropped were this an alignment issue…

Any advice, additional diagnostic suggestions, etc. is greatly appreciated.

Scott

What was the received power level measurement on the slave prior to and after you believe the radio to have started failing?

msmith wrote:
What was the received power level measurement on the slave prior to and after you believe the radio to have started failing?

Right around -71 dBm... The network varies from -41 dBm (1.3 miles approx) to -61 dBm (5 miles).

I will make it a point to note all radios again tomorrow.

I am trying to visualize your cluster, but I don’t yet know:
1) are all the BHs “masters” at the central point?
2) Are they all the same up/down ratio
3) Channel plan
4) I didn’t hear CMM/GPS for synch

If I knew that stuff I “might” be able to point out something that was obvious, but at this late hour only the obvious would catch my attention…

Maybe tomorrow when you post those details I can get my brain out of the dishwasher and dry-it-off (and install it) to see if I can be of any assistance.

Regards!

I would suspect a drooping dish since it happened slowly. Then I would look for new interference.

However as Charles points out, more info please…

More info, as requested. (Marvel at my text based drawing ability!)

.1()- <—> -().2 .6()- <--------------->-().3 !.4()- <----------------->-().7!
______________________________________.5()-<------------------>-().8

.1 Master, Freq 5715, CC: 25, -41 dBm , RSSI 1224, jitter 1
.2 Slave

.6 Slave
.3 Master, Freq 5745, CC: 115, -51 dBm, RSSI 1379, jitter 2

(problem area:)
.4 Master, Freq 5805, CC: 200, -71 dBm, RSSI 726, jitter 3
.7 Slave

.5 Master, Frew 5775, CC: 15, -73 dBm, RSSI 668, jitter 2
.8 Slave

They are all the same up/down ratio with 90% from left to right.

The “Hub” was using GPS for sync up until it died last year, we switched to CMM Sync and haven’t had alot of problems with it in those regards, although if we wanted to get the full bandwidth out of the pipeline, we’d have to reinstill the gps sync.

My gut says alignment issue, as we’ve had a shot go down before because an egret (big bird) thought it’d be a nice place to take a break, and the dish ended up being the one that “broke”.

I think the only part that gets me is the way it died, and the fact the stats didn’t change for the period where it was operating at 3.5 MB, and it subsequentally stopped registering with the master after a reboot.

I think as always the scientific method will prevail here. But it’s always good to get a second opinion.

Thanks!

Scott

5715 MHz? Are you in the US?

If these are P9 running in HW mode,they will auto-negotiate to 1/2 speed if the link gets flaky rather than drop altogether.

The "Hub" was using GPS for sync up until it died last year, we switched to CMM Sync and haven't had alot of problems with it in those regards, although if we wanted to get the full bandwidth out of the pipeline, we'd have to reinstill the gps sync.

Not quite sure I follow that. You were using GPS Sync, then it died, then you switched to CMM Sync? CMM Sync incorporates GPS. So are you using a CMM to sync your network right now? If so, where in the diagram is the unit?