Did 2.5.1 break restoring binary configs (and text configs until you edit them)

When a batch of ePMP radios come in my assistant goes through and upgrades them all to the most current firmware . Currently that is v2.5.1      I have customer radio  binary configurations (templates if you will) saved for each of our Access points so when we are setting up a radio for a customer install we just log in, hit Tools>Backup/Restore and upload the appropriate template, save, reboot, log in and change management IP and PPPoE username/password Presto! Customer radio configured.

Well my first v2.5.1 radio would fail when I tried to upload a bianary. So I thought , ok well I guess they changed something between 2.4.3 and 2.5.1 and I'll have to set up all my templates from scratch.  So I log into one of my customer radios currently running 2.5.1 and download the binary config and try to upload that to my 2.5.1 radio here on my desk.  It fails again... ok so this isn't a version difference problem.

So I download a text config from the installed/working customer radio and try to upload that to my 2.5.1 radio here on my desk.  It fails but the logs tell me that it failed because  the  " Country Code" isn't blank.   So I edit the text file and remove "US" from the quotes and then I was able to upload the config to my radio.

So, I'm guessing the reason the binary backups are not working is also because of the "US" in  my country code  but Country Code isn't something that is configurable , it's set by the AP and I can't edit the binary configs to remove the  US.

Also, the new 2.5.1 radios we are setting up have all the 4.9-5Ghz frequencies available (even after connecting to the AP and being told they are in the United States) while the 2.5.1 radios that were upgraded from 2.4.3 to 2.5.1 do not.

I haven't had a lot of time to experiment with this but any idea if this is a bug or I'm just not doing something right ?

I encountered the same thing - I pre-provision all the radios that come through the shop with a default config file.  When I ran into this, I just downgraded a radio, installed my old default config, upgraded it, downloaded the config from it after it was running 2.5.1 and everything is fine again using that new config file.

Clearly something changed, since I haven't come across any warning from Cambium that config file format or processing was changing somehow I assume it's a bug.  Hadn't bothered looking for a pattern/explanation/log entry, I just moved on.  (it was a busy day)

j

@newkirk wrote:

I encountered the same thing - I pre-provision all the radios that come through the shop with a default config file.  When I ran into this, I just downgraded a radio, installed my old default config, upgraded it, downloaded the config from it after it was running 2.5.1 and everything is fine again using that new config file.

Clearly something changed, since I haven't come across any warning from Cambium that config file format or processing was changing somehow I assume it's a bug.  Hadn't bothered looking for a pattern/explanation/log entry, I just moved on.  (it was a busy day)

j

Hi brubble1 and J, Thanks to you both for highlighting this. We are not aware of any intentional changes that would break this in 2.5.1. We are going to look into this and see what's going on. I will report back when we know what's happening. 

Thanks,

Sriram

Hello brubble 1,

I have already reply you via e-mail.

One of your radios is ROW Subscriber Module.

And it is not possible to restore configuration from ROW SM to FCC locked for US region SM.

On FCC locked devices US Country Code is predefined and on ROW devices it is Follow AP.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Ruh-Roh...

I just confirmed that the most recent shipment of ePMP radios we received was FCC with part# ending 122A, but the previous shipment was RoW with part# ending 021A.

Is there any legal/regulatory concern with using them as SMs within the USA?  We'd be really irritated if we have to roll trucks to swap out a dozen already-installed SMs.  (NOT Cambium's fault - down to the supplier involved, and our own failure to notice the different part#)

j

1 Like

I put our templates on 2.5.1 (default/new) radios just this week.  Some tempaltes are as old as 2.3.4 I think.  All Force110 5 ghz.

1 Like

Yes, per Fedor's comment above to Brubble1, I confirmed that the units with which I had this problem were NOT C058900A122A US-FCC version radios, rather they were C050900A021A RoW versions.  

THAT hardware-version discrepancy is why we had trouble with config files, NOT as I first thought caused by 2.5.1 firmware.  (that shipment of radios was the first time I preinstalled 2.5.1, and I mistook that as the root cause)

j

1 Like

@newkirk wrote:

Ruh-Roh...

I just confirmed that the most recent shipment of ePMP radios we received was FCC with part# ending 122A, but the previous shipment was RoW with part# ending 021A.

Is there any legal/regulatory concern with using them as SMs within the USA?  We'd be really irritated if we have to roll trucks to swap out a dozen already-installed SMs.  (NOT Cambium's fault - down to the supplier involved, and our own failure to notice the different part#)

j

Hi J, 

its unfortunate that you were sent RoW radios. Yes, you are legally bound to deploy FCC only radios in FCC regions (US is one of them). Really, the seller is legally bound to sell only FCC radios in the US. You may want to contact your distributor/supplier and slowly start phasing/swapping out the RoW radios. It sucks but better safe than sorry.

Note: If the RoW radios you are using are only used as SMs, you are technically not violating FCC limits, AS LONG AS the AP is an FCC radio. The SM follows the APs country which will be United States. But its better to swap them out eventually. 

Thanks,
Sriram