Difference between PTP 550 & PTP 670

Hello,

I really want to understand the difference between PTP 550 & PTP 670. The data transfer for 550 is shown in Gbps however, the cost of it very much less as compared to 670. Can anyone please help me comparing both the devices and let me know which device is actually for which type of location.

Thanks in Advance !!

Regards

Amit Gupta

3 Likes

The biggest difference between these two products is that the PTP550 uses a 802.11ac WiFi chipset and the PTP670 uses an FPGA. This allows the PTP550 to be offered at a much lower price point and allow for higher maximum throughput when there's plenty of clean spectrum to choose from. It also allows the PTP550 to perform channel bonding, again increasing the maximum throughput while being spectrum agile. The PTP550 can utilize 20, 40, and 80mhz channel widths.

The PTP670 is designed for harsh RF environments where there's possibly not much spectrum to choose from or very noisy spectrum. It can use channels as small as 5, 10, and 15MHz. The PTP670 is also better at achieving near and non-LOS links.

Both radios are IP66/IP67 hardened for use in harsh physical environments.

4 Likes

Hi Amit,

The choice between PTP 550 and PTP 670 is based on product application. Short version, PTP 550 is mainly built for speed(1Gbps+) and radio redundancy(2+0 configuration), it does not have specific feature such as SyncE, 1588 timings, narrow channel sizes, etc. PTP 670 is built for provides excellent spectral efficiency (10 bit/Hz) even in high interference environment(top performing radio in the world) , this radio has feature such as DSO, HCMP , SyncE, IEEE 1588v2 etc. In short, the PTP 670 is like swiss knife which has lot of application and is versatile whereas PTP 550 radio is mainly built for High capacity backhaul and link redundancy. Based on link requirement it would be advised to choose right PTP radio for the solution. Below we have provided more comprehensive list of key benefit of the radio.

Here are some additional of key benefits of PTP 670:

UNIQUENESS

BENEFIT

4.9 to 6.05 GHz

Ability to choice any allowed Wide Band Frequency including 4.9 Public Safety

5/10/15/20/30/40/45 MHz Channel Size

Due to low availability of low channel band width , radio has ability to be deployment in low spectrum environment

850,000+ packet processed per second

Ideal for backhaul solution which process lot of incoming packets

Dynamic Spectrum Optimization (DSO)

In High interference, DSO can improve link reliability by changing frequency selection automatically

Automatic Transmit Power Control

Help conserve power and avoid interfering with other Radio within LOS

Near and Non-Line of Sight Applications

Isolated Access point can be reached now due to Non-Line of Sight capability of PTP 670

High Capacity MultiPoint

Flexibility in operating PTP 670 which can be configured in Point to Point mode or Point to Multi-Point mode

Split Frequency

With Different Tx and Rx Frequency , it becomes easier to deploy between tower where common channel is not available

Adaptive Duty Cycle

Increases aggregate throughput of the link even in random burst of data traffic

IEEE 1588v2 and SyncE supported

Optional License keys which enable easy deployment for Mobile backhaul requiring Precision timing protocol

Over The Air-Rekeying (OTAR)

Simplifies and streamlines operations by automatically changing password regularly

AES 128/256

Guaranteed Secure lines for transmission which are critical for some applications

Aux Port and Fiber Port

Added functionality of Wi-Fi Hotspot, GPS sync or Camera using Aux Port

Here are key uniqueness of PTP 550:

UNIQUENESS

BENEFIT

5.1 to 5.9 GHz

Ability to choice any allowed Wide Band Frequency 5.1, 5.2 , 5.4 (DFS) & 5.8 GHz Band

2x 20/40/80 MHz Channel Size

160 MHz channel bandwidth gives 1.4 Gbps throughput , ideally for rural deployment

150,000+ packet processed per second

Ideal for backhaul solution which process lot of incoming packets

Dynamic Channel Selection (DCS)

In High interference, DCS can improve link reliability by changing frequency across bands and automatically selecting best channels

Automatic Transmit Power Control

Help conserve power and avoid interfering with other Radio within LOS

Channel Bonding

Having 2+0 configurations help link reliability and utilize maximum spectrum available

AES 128 (Default )

Guaranteed Secure lines for transmission which are critical for some applications

SFP Fiber Port

Having fiber port provides flexible options for output port

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

Sagar

4 Likes

Hi,

can you bring in the mix the ptp 450i ?

If I don't want to burn more then 40Mhz is ptp 450i better suited then ptp550 ?

ptp670 is different animal but 450 and 550 are similar price-wise !

I do get chanel redundancy in 550 but if we neglect that !?

Hi Makoto,

PTP 450i cannot mix with PTP 550,

If bandwidth is limited . It is advisable to use PTP 550 with two 20 MHz channel instead one 40 MHz channel . This will improve overall performance. Also PTP 450i has application compared to PTP 550, some examples are
1. PTP 450 and PMP 450 share same interface
2. PTP 450 and PMP 450 can use same sync solution
3. PTP 450i has better filtering capability compared to PTP 550, hence it performs better in tougher environment
4. PTP 450i can support narrow channel sizes which is not supported on PTP 550, this is key requirement in many areas.

These are some key differences between PTP 550 and PTP 450i , there are many other minor details not covered here. But in short, these products are similar to some extent but vary in application and deployment style.

Thanks

Sagar

1 Like

Any later version after PTP-670? And how good are these when one of the points is mobile - slow speed? Thanks