Different speed options with Force 110 using both Ethernet ports

I'm sure this is not a new scenario... I am looking to deploy a Force 110 radio (PtMP) where the primary Ethernet port will service 1 customer and the secondary Ethernet port will hit another radio (Force 180) to service a second customer.  Normally, I do my speed limiting in the radio using MIR profiles.

Is it at all possible to serve customer 1 on the primary Ethernet with one MIR and customer 2 on the secondary Ethernet with another MIR?  

My assumption is "no" and I should build out this scenario in my core router with queues (Miktotik) for those specific IPs but before I do that, I wanted to see what others much smarter than me are doing in this situation.  Basically, customer ones house is a relay point to customer two but I'd like to service them each with the speed they purchase.

2 Likes

Have you thought about using a cnpilot home router for the end user and rate limit the speed in the cn maestro? Will look into the other scenario to see if it's possible.

1 Like

Since the Force 180 is essentially going to be the AP for customer #2, I would set a MIR profile in that radio. There are two flaws with this deployment however. Customer #2 wouldn't be able to have a speed greater than customer #1, and secondly, any techs troubleshooting in the future would need to know that things are setup this way vs your normal deployment.

1 Like

Hi AU, 

Corey here is correct. Customer #2 will be limited to the MIR offered to customer #1. We do not have the ability to set different MIR limits to each of the Ethernet ports. 

Thanks,
Sriram

Sri,

Even though its not offered it would be a really cool feature and it would deffently help on reduceing the cost to have a relay so you can pickup one or two locations and still be able to control the speed. maybe like a 2.7 feature ;)

Andy

@NOW wrote:

Sri,

Even though its not offered it would be a really cool feature and it would deffently help on reduceing the cost to have a relay so you can pickup one or two locations and still be able to control the speed. maybe like a 2.7 feature ;)

Andy

Hi NOW, 

I will make sure the developers are aware of this request but I can't promise a target release at this time. Thanks for the feedback and support in helping us continue to improve ePMP. 

Thanks,

Sriram

You could try to force the ethernet at 10/full for instance, if it's absolutelly necessary keeping the client in the relay from saturating the link.

That has its own disadvantages, like you cannot sell a 15mb plan, and in some circumstances could cause timeouts and jitter, but it's a tool in your pocket.

Wanted to re-visit this as I am getting ready to deploy. I have the speed issue worked out. What I am not sure how to work out is VLANs.

Normally, when I deploy a CPE, I set up a MGT VLAN and a DATA VLAN in the CPE.  This way, the customer plugs in any non-VLAN aware router and gets an IP from the pool assigned to that DATA VLAN.  Works great.

However, now, if I use a Force 110 to feed a customer router on the primary Ethernet and a Force 180 to bounce to another customer on the AUX Ethernet port, I don't know what to do about VLANs.  I don't think I can use the DATA VLAN option anymore, right, since that will assign (untag) that VLAN to both Ethernet ports.

What I envision is untag VLAN 23 (for example) to the main Ethernet port on the 110 and tag VLANs 23 and 4 (management) to the Aux port. On the near side Force 180, I still use my MGT VLAN (4) so we can access it.  On the far side Force 180, enter a MGT VLAN (as normal) and then use the DATA VLAN to basically untag VLAN 23 to the client router.

Is this possible? Is there a better way to do it?

@Au Wireless wrote:

Wanted to re-visit this as I am getting ready to deploy. I have the speed issue worked out. What I am not sure how to work out is VLANs.

Normally, when I deploy a CPE, I set up a MGT VLAN and a DATA VLAN in the CPE.  This way, the customer plugs in any non-VLAN aware router and gets an IP from the pool assigned to that DATA VLAN.  Works great.

However, now, if I use a Force 110 to feed a customer router on the primary Ethernet and a Force 180 to bounce to another customer on the AUX Ethernet port, I don't know what to do about VLANs.  I don't think I can use the DATA VLAN option anymore, right, since that will assign (untag) that VLAN to both Ethernet ports.

What I envision is untag VLAN 23 (for example) to the main Ethernet port on the 110 and tag VLANs 23 and 4 (management) to the Aux port. On the near side Force 180, I still use my MGT VLAN (4) so we can access it.  On the far side Force 180, enter a MGT VLAN (as normal) and then use the DATA VLAN to basically untag VLAN 23 to the client router.

Is this possible? Is there a better way to do it?

Hi AU, 

With Data VLAN configured on the Force 110, the primary and aux port both will need untagged packets. Why do you need Data VLAN 23 to the Force 180? Let the client router on the far side of the Force 180 send untagged packets all the way to the Force 110's aux port. There the Force 110 will tag it with 23 (since you have DATA VLAN configured on it). This config may work:

Force 110:

Data VLAN: 23

Management VLAN: 4

Membership VLAN: 4 (to allow management VLAN 4 to go through to the Force 180) 

Force 180 (conntected via Aux port of the Force 110):

But if you need the packets to get tagged/untagged on the Force 180, you may need to use two Data VLANs, one each for the Force 110 and Force 180. This config may work: 

Force 110:

Data VLAN: 23

Membership VLANs: 25, 4.

Force 180 (conntected via Aux port of the Force 110):

Data VLAN: 25

Refer to this KB article to learn more about how VLANs are handled in ePMP. I'm sure you can play around with the VLAN configuration and find more than one way to do this. 

Thanks,

Sriram

Thanks for the help.  Looks like this is what I want to do from your advice:

and just use a second, different VLAN for customer #2 (off the Force 180) on the data vlan.