disapointed with epmp performance

Hi,

On a small hamlet, with 40 CPEs (ubiquiti XM/XW nanobridge/nanobeam/airgrid hp) I have replaced the Rocket M5 with a EPMP1000 and elevated all the CPEs.

CPEs have speeds varying from 3-15 mega download, 1-3 upload. Signals are quite good also CINRs although some airgrid doesn't stick at the max MCS. Remote hamlet no noise nor interference.

It was working on a 20 MHz channel and the airtime hit 100% at ~40-45 Mbps.

I changed to 40 MHz channel and there is no improvement at all. Airtime still hits 100% at ~40-45 Mbps.

Is there any way to improve this? Replacing the AP to EPMP2000 will improve the performance?

Regards

Antonio

Are you using the ePMP 1000 or ePMP 1000 GPS? They're two different models and the GPS version is a more capable radio. Assuming that your spectrum is clean as you state, and assuming you're using the GPS version of the e1k, then I doub't you'd see a notable gain in performance using the e2k.

Another thing to check... look under Monitor -> Performance, and scroll to the bottom of the page, what MCS rates are the majority of traffic being sent using? Ideally you want the highest %'s on the highest MCS's rates. If a lot of your traffic is being sent at lower MCS's rates, then you're experencing interference and your frame utilization will be much higher.

The mention of airgrid HP makes me want to guess that there are many single polarity devices involved, possibly with poor performance.  Those will certainly drag the entire sector down. Replacing them with a more modern CPE will certainly improve things. 

4 Likes

@Jacob Turner wrote:

The mention of airgrid HP makes me want to guess that there are many single polarity devices involved, possibly with poor performance.  Those will certainly drag the entire sector down. Replacing them with a more modern CPE will certainly improve things. 

That's right... I totally forgot the Airgrid's are 1x1 radios. If your sector's loaded up with them, then yeah... you're getting up to 50% less overall performance because of them. I'd be swapping out those Airgrids STAT!

I agree that Airgrids are 1x1 . This means that if I have ~40-50 Mbits using them in 20 MHz channel and move to 40 Mhz :  why I still have 40-50 Mbit/s aggregated traffic in the AP....

I'm usinng epmp1k + gps : this is the only one which accepts elevate cpes.

40% cpes at mcs-15 (nanobridges), 40% at mcs-7 (airgrids) and other 20% varies over mcs4-5 or 10-11

So not that bad at all...

Unless when you go to 40Mhz wide channels, you are now bumping into new interference which you're not hitting at 20Mhz width?  There are some cases where 10Mhz might be cleaner and faster than 20/40 - if a 10Mhz channel is able to sneak between interference.

So, maybe you're bumping into more interference at a wider channel? Although... you should see that represented in the MONITOR -> PERFORMANCE as more retransmitted packets and lower MCS probably...  hmmm.

there are no interferences in the hamlet: only 2 5 ghz frequencies in use: the airfiber 5x 20 mhz link and the epmp1k 40 mhz both very distant in frequency and space