Distance for mesh between E500 and E501

Hi Guys,

I have a client that needs to connect via mesh (large open area that is paved, not possible to run cables) from one light post to another.

At one post (Base, has ethernet connection) I would like to put an E501 and accross the lot an E500 (no ethernet access). The E500 will give wifi access to users (very few maybe 10 at a time).

Why use an E501? Its because the distance between the 2 APs is 350 meters (1000 feet). I have used mesh between 2 E500 at about 100 meters (300 feet) but I would not like to go more than that with 2 E500 so thats why I use an E501 as the base (Extra Antena gain).

Anyone use a setup like this? will this work OK.

Where this will be used there should be minimal radio interference (Lot out in the boondocs)  

Will the E501s be servicing any clients? If not I would suggest using a P2P link as backhaul. A pair of ePMP Force 180's for example woud be a good solution without breaking the bank.

Yes, as stated in the original post…aprox 10 WiFi users…

At each end there would be about 10 users. At the 501 end it will be mounted on a building so the 120/90 angle is ok.

Hi,

Considering 350 meters as the MESH distance it is good to consider E501S both as MESH base and MESH client. E500 range will be limiting factor!

Hello!

Sorry to kidnap the topic, but I need some help seting up MASH.

I have two E500 APs. Both of them are connected to router and both of them have 1 public WiFi SSID with guest portal.

Both SSIDs are on VLAN 1.

On first AP i've set up mesh base with WPA2 and PSK and on second mech client . 

It seem there si a connection (STATUS: 4WAY_HANDSHAKE) , but client don't get IP, althou I've set up DHCP server on mesh base AP.

Should I also make mash client wlan profile on mesh base. 

I didn't enable "Mesh Auto Detect Backhaul" and "Mesh Vlan Tagging"

Thanks for your help.

Please share tech-support of both mesh base and mesh client to shashank.tadakamadla@cambiumnetworks.com.

Based on the configuration, we can suggest you the changes.

Thank You.

hi, let me understand the deployment need,

1. MESH needs to formed between 2 cnPiolt APs 

2. Each MESH base and MESH client also need to serve the regualr wireless clients 

help us for below queries,

W.r.to MESH APs 

1. How does IP address will be assigned to MESH client and MESH base APs?

2. Who is the default gateway for the MESH base and MESH client APs? 

3. Why MESH client is also connected to Router (ideally should not have any wired connection)?

4. What is the VLAN ID mapped to MESH profile 

W.r.to regular wireless clients help with below queries,

1. Does MESH base will serve DHCP IPs to regular wireless clients connecting to both MESH base and MESH Client APs

2. Does MESH base AP will act as default gateway for the wireless clients?

3. What is the VLAN ID mapped to regualr wireless clients SSID?

Here is the information for your queries,

1. Mesh Auto Detect Backhaul

Description: The feature needs to enabled on the AP which can act as MESH Base. When enabled this feature, if MESH base AP sees etherent port is down, it will act as MESH client and tries to connect to nearnest MESH base. The idea is "When Base AP doesn't have connectivity to backhaul network to server connetivity to MESH traffic, it should take the role of MESH client"

2. Mesh Vlan Tagging

Description: When this is enabled, traffic on MESH link will be tagged and sent same on the ethernet side also

Note: Please share your MESH client and MESH base AP configuration we shall be able to help you

As per my understanding, E500 or E501 both have dual radio option. But , when we use any one of the radio for MESH link , then the clients operate on 2.4GHz or 5GHz get contrains on the available channel, as MESH channel is dedicately occupied for link only and can be used for access. But if we have three tri-radio frequency option in the radio say 1 no. 5GHz channel , 1 no. 2.4GHz and another channel which will be dedicately reserve for MESH only then this constrain can be removed. Though the client device can operate on both 2.4 GHz or 5GHz yet best option is to give them the option to operate on the default channel. Is there any such planning to include the same in near future. We have already implemented such network in many client sites and whatever described above is just my observation.

1 Like

hi,

MESH is preferred to on 5 GHz and clients access on 2.4 GHz. The client SSID profile and MESH SSID profile can be applied to same radio. 

1 Like

Hi Chennareddy, Thanks a lot . In the meantime, may I know whether the performance of the AP will be hampered due to use of same frequency for MESH link and client access or not.

Hello!

MESH needs to be formed between two E500 APs.

Both APs needs to serve regular wifi clients.

MESH base is connected to regular LAN with 192.168.x.y.

MESH client is currently also connected to the same LAN (for testing) and both of them have currently same gateway. Later on, we will disconnect wireless connection.

What is the VLAN ID mapped to MESH profile 

Both SSID for regular clients and MESH link have currently same VLAN ID - 1

1. Does MESH base will serve DHCP IPs to regular wireless clients connecting to both MESH base and MESH Client APs

Not necessarily. If we can do it without that it is also OK.

2. Does MESH base AP will act as default gateway for the wireless clients?

I guess, what do you recommend?

3. What is the VLAN ID mapped to regualr wireless clients SSID?

They both have VLAN ID 1

I've attached config files below.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I have implemented Cambium AP enterprise series with Cisco managed network with more than 80 VLANs and more than 10000 access clients(Laptop/mobile). But what I asked was basically the use of same frequency for both access clients and MESH link. There must be consequence that might be lesser or greater depending on backend technology. If we are using the same frequency for both then interference or utilization effect is obvious. Hence, I wanted to know is there any other option to mitigate this shortcome.

hi,

1. ideally keep MESH link in one VLAN and wireless clients into other VLAN if possible

say MESH SSID "KTVR link" mapped to VLAN 1 and Wireless clients SSID "KTV Ravne Free WiFi" in other VLAN say VLAN 2

If not possible, keep MESH SSID and Wireless clients SSID to same VLAN say VLAN 1 which is done in your case 

2. Keep MESH SSID profile mapped to 5 GHz instead of 2.4 GHz if possible 

3. Below can be MESH Base and client configuration 

MESH Base configuration 

!
wireless wlan 2
ssid "KTVR link"
no shutdown
vlan 1
security wpa2-psk
no protected-mgmt-frames
passphrase <WPA2-PSK Key>
mesh base
no mesh-vlan-tagging
band 2.4GHz
hidden-ssid
dtim-interval 1
max-associated-client 127
no proxy-arp
mac-authentication policy deny
no guest-access
!

And MESH Client configiration 

!
wireless wlan 2
ssid "KTVR link"
no shutdown
vlan 1
security wpa2-psk
no protected-mgmt-frames
passphrase <WPA2-PSK Key>
mesh client
no mesh-vlan-tagging
band 2.4GHz
hidden-ssid
dtim-interval 1
max-associated-client 127
no proxy-arp
mac-authentication policy deny
no guest-access
!

This should work without any issue

Ideally speeking MESH link shall be on 5 GHz for cleaner RF operation. When regular wireless clients SSID also mapped to 5 GHz radio, then avaibale bandwidth will be shared for regular wireless clients and also MESH link. This will bring down throughput number on MESH link. But the gain is that wireless clients capable of opertaining in 5 GHz will benefit from this one. 

Tri radio can be the best solution, keeping one radio dedicated for MESH link and enabling dual band operation for wireless clients

Hey everyone I am using PMP E450 which I want to connect with mesh sensor network which is communicating with mesh based modem which conncted to cambium radio via ethernet cable 

My major aim is to send the mesh network data to Internet cloud database, there are many other ways but the one in my offcie I am using ISP internet through this radio so any suggestion which is helpful for making this kind of network possible will be much helpful. 

A post was split to a new topic: E502 maximum mesh distance