Do I really need gps sync?

Good afternoon all,

So I'm in the process of building out a new tower in a new location and looking at new hardware options.  I have quite a few connecterized 5ghz EPMP's up at other locations and they work great.  No complaints and throughput is as expected, outperforming the other radios for sure.  I've done a frequency scan at the new location and there isn't anything.  I can see my backhaul from one of my other towers that is over 10 miles away, other than that I see a couple home routers.

Would sync really improve the quality of the link if I'm not needing to utlize frequency reuse?

Looking at the 2000 line with the option of a lite version, does it make sense to just make the investment?

It's my impression that GPS sync is more for heavily congested area.

Would I see an improvement over a 1000 connecterized radio without sync for throughput and overall quality of the connection?  Just wondering if I should put up a 1000 next to a 2000 and see if I notice the difference.

Anyone done this before?  If so, what were your results?

Thanks for your feedback,

Ryo

Hi.  Well, I don't want to be casual about ''just a couple hundred dollars'', but for my 2c... yes, GPS Sync is very, very valuable. I'd do it from the get-go because I think you'll want it down the road at some point.

IMHO, I think that Cambium's strengths are in performance in harsh noisy environments, and (most importantly) interference mitigation - and most importantly, mitigation of SELF interference.  Self interference is often the largest & loudest  source of interference, and it's also the source that you can control the best.  That's really really where Cambium shines and GPS Sync is key to mitigating self interference.

So, for my 2c, I'd put up a GPS Sync AP right from the beginning (even if it's a 10 CPE ''lite'' version to save money) and it's much, much easier to upgrade a software license down the road, than it is to climb and change the AP down the road. :)

3 Likes

Good points Ninedd,

I guess it's always better to have it just in case.

Just wondering though, if I put up an epmp 1000 connectorized and a new epmp 2000 would I notice the difference out the gate or would I notice it more when I have 30+ SM's on the AP.

I have a few towers with over 30 SM's and that seems to be the magic number, any more then that I put up another AP just to offset the load.

Our standard package is 15/2 mb.

Thanks,

Ryo

1 Like

@Ryo Haines wrote:

Good points Ninedd,

I guess it's always better to have it just in case.

Just wondering though, if I put up an epmp 1000 connectorized and a new epmp 2000 would I notice the difference out the gate or would I notice it more when I have 30+ SM's on the AP.

I have a few towers with over 30 SM's and that seems to be the magic number, any more then that I put up another AP just to offset the load.

Our standard package is 15/2 mb.

Thanks,

Ryo

the E2K shines in the noise, if your in a noise free area (co-band noise on the same tower)  you won't see much of a difference. BUT using them anyway may stop you from ever feeling noise that pops up the 1000s will get hit with.  

if you've got co-band noise issues (like running an AF5 within a foot or two of your sector, the E2K will help, ALOT.

if you are getting uplink noise from the areas around the tower, the Beamsteering antenna is the tool of choice.  If you've got the $$$ to use e2k and the BSA out of the gate, you're protecting yourself from future problems. 

1 Like