Downgrading 5.7 SM's

We have a an old network here with all Non-Advantage AP’s and SM’s, so we have to downgrade any newer SM’s that we buy down to 7.36. We have successfully done this with one batch of SM’s that we got. They were running 8.x and 9.x on them and I downgraded with no problem. I simply had to go into the configuration and select Software Scheduling, and all was good.

We just had another batch of SM’s that we downgraded to 7.36, but this time the choice to select Software Scheduling is not in the configuration page.

I was not really paying too much attention to what the hardware platform was on these different batches, so it seems like some platforms allow you to downgrade and have that choice and some don’t? If so, can someone enlighten me as to what platforms allow you to do this.

Also on a related note how the heck do you tell what platform the SM is, if you are running 7.36? I know that in 8.x and up it tells you the platform, but not on 7.36.

Thank you.

P8 radios do NOT have a software selectable option for HW/SW. You can change them, but you have to use CNUT and a P9 radio running 7.3.6, then use the option to change the Advantage Scheduling method.

Kind of a pain, but it does work.

You can double verify these are P8s by telneting to the unit, then typing ver. that will show the hardware revision.

Paul McCall
PDMNet Canopy Repair
772-564-6800

paulchops wrote:
P8 radios do NOT have a software selectable option for HW/SW. You can change them, but you have to use CNUT and a P9 radio running 7.3.6, then use the option to change the Advantage Scheduling method.

Thanks. i am not sure I understand what you mean by those instructions. You say to use CNUT and a P9 radio running 7.3.6. . What am I using the P9 radio for? Couldn't I just use CNUT to access these problem SM's (which based on your info are probably P8's) and use that option you described.

Yeah, i can see how that might be confusing. CNUT has to use the AP do make the change for you from HW to SW scheduling and it needs an AP that can run both HW and SW scheduling to communicate with the SMs to get that accomplished.

a P9 AP is the only revision of AP that can run both SW and HW scheduling, thus your need to use a P9 running 7.3.6

paulchops wrote:
Yeah, i can see how that might be confusing. CNUT has to use the AP do make the change for you from HW to SW scheduling and it needs an AP that can run both HW and SW scheduling to communicate with the SMs to get that accomplished.

a P9 AP is the only revision of AP that can run both SW and HW scheduling, thus your need to use a P9 running 7.3.6

Oh, OK. Now I understand. Hmm... we do not have any Advantage AP's anywhere in our network so, that's not going to work. All our AP's ore older as well (P7's I think).

You don’t need to use an AP. Run CNUT on a PC and wire the SM’s direct to the PC.

jwcn wrote:
You don't need to use an AP. Run CNUT on a PC and wire the SM's direct to the PC.

Hmmm. Well your response is contradictory to Paul's above. So who is right? ;-)

I guess I will fire it up tomorrow and test it direct with CNUT.

Thanks.

hehe…

The only thing that CNUT cant do “direct” to the SMs to my knowledge, is change platform scheduling (HW to SW or vice versa).

All other functions can be done directly to hard-wired SMs.

------

You do need a P9 AP but not necessarily and Advantage AP. (example… 5700SMBC or 5750SMBC)

We have some used ones if you need one.

Paul, PDMNet
772-564-6800

paulchops wrote:
hehe...

The only thing that CNUT cant do "direct" to the SMs to my knowledge, is change platform scheduling (HW to SW or vice versa).

All other functions can be done directly to hard-wired SMs.

------

You do need a P9 AP but not necessarily and Advantage AP. (example... 5700SMBC or 5750SMBC)

Well, I did check into it this AM and looks like you actually CAN do this directly. You just launch an external tool from CNUT's Tools menu and there is indeed a choice to turn on HD/SW Scheduling. Haven't tried it yet, but looks like it might be doable directly.

Thanks.

try it… I think you will find my description of the whole process as I described.

:slight_smile:

Paul

Nada I’ve done this many many many times. Sorry Paul.

Agreed with jwcn, All you need is CNUT and the sm connected to that computer with cnut. Use the external tool to launch the H/W scheduler. You just can’t use it on p10’s or p11. We use that tool every day when working with older units.