e3K vs LTU test results

Please see the attached (rather long) test report on some field tests done comparing e3K to LTU. This is Cambium initiated but done in conjunction with e-Vergent Internet. Big shout out to them. We attempted our best to configure everything the same but may have have missed tweaks on LTU that I am sure someone will pont out. Long story short, from our vantage point MUMIMO is the answer to higher throughput vs just higher modulation which some of these tests prove. LTU is a good radio no doubt but things like backwards compatibility to AX bases solutions is a big plus for Cambium.

4 Likes

Really thank you very nice test. But it would be good to know the SNR of every SM for LTU and ePMP.

Well, we are testing to.Ā 

PLUSES

LTU - better latency

LTU - 10 Mhz stepsĀ 

LTU - different TX RX

LTU - better uploadĀ 

LTU - Cheaper AP

e3K - works better for longer distances

e3K - SM are ez to installĀ 

e3K - MUMIMO

MINUSES

LTU - expensive SM

LTU - NO MUMIMO

e3K - Expensive AP

e3K - no 10 Mhz steps

e3K - very bad upload

1 Like

@Varlous wrote:

Well, we are testing to. 

PLUSES

LTU - better latency

LTU - 10 Mhz steps 

LTU - different TX RX

LTU - better upload 

LTU - Cheaper AP

e3K - works better for longer distances

e3K - SM are ez to install 

e3K - MUMIMO

MINUSES

LTU - expensive SM

LTU - NO MUMIMO

Very upload will be addressed and already improvements in 4.5

No 10MHz in FCC ONLY. Rest of the world we have it.

Last but not least, I would like to suggest one of our biggest pluses - every SM you install will be compatibile with e4K and get 8X8 DL MUMIMO! We proved we can do this, right? 11n to AC compatibility and don't forget the thousands of Elevate units :)

e3K - Expensive AP

e3K - no 10 Mhz steps

e3K - very bad upload

2 Likes

LTU 2.0.6 Beta 5 is known to have major improvements for performance and LTU-LR cpe is only $129, so way less cost or OMT LTU 27dbi gain is $199 and round wave guide connector for longer range. Should do a comparison with, the newer code and different CPE's. Airmax is for backwards compatibility with wifi chipsets from UBNT. Just like ePMP3k is not compatible with 450 series.Ā 

1 Like

@Varlous wrote:

MINUSES

LTU - expensive SM

LTU - NO MUMIMO

It looked to me like LTU SM was always less expensive than the Cambium SM.

Chris,

We will do some evals at least in the lab with the latest. From compatibility perspective, we are talking about AC SMs talking to AX AP and you getting 8X8 MUMIMO. Selectively you can change out SMs and go to AX SMs and get 1024QAM, OFDMA, UL MUMIMO. Then there is the fact that we are looking at 6GHz on AX.

My utmost respect to UBNT so don't get me wrong but over the long term we are taking the WISP business very seriously and have a long drawn out path for you guys protecting your investments etc. For what its worth, you are having this conversation with me and we are discussing openly what we are doing for the WISP community. Don't forget CBRS play as well. Ultimately, competition is healthy and like I said UBNT created a huge market and did great service to hundreds of WISPs. We are just trying to take you guys to the future.Ā  Thx Sakid

6 Likes

I've tried both LTU and e3k.

Our network is all on Cambium ePMP and in my opinion, e3k seems to be a better product.

LTU has very good performances in clean spectrum and for single users, but its performances are based on high modulation and wider channels, and in real world you can't use more than 20MHz and you'll have lower modulation than 1024QAM or 256QAM.

in these real world scenarios, MU-MIMO will give you more "gain" than higher modulation support.

We decided to use e3k in our network and we're very happy with it.

LTU has lower latency, but ePMP team promised they're working on it, with 2.5ms frame size and new features.

They're listening to customers and for me that's very important.

5 Likes