E410: high density?

Hello,

I’m looking for capable WiFi access Points which could handle huge amount of concurrent connected clients without any problems. So imagine the following situation:

1,5 hours of a tutorial for students

• class rooms with 50 students (50 to 100 connected clients), i.e. 50 laptops, up to 50 Smartphones

• The students work with Eclipse. They check in and repositories constantly

• The lecturer points them to new files, which they should download immediately after they were told to do so.

• 1 or 2 students download the latest season of Game Of thrones...

• Everybody surfs the internet inbetween.

Imagine a campus building with a lot of those rooms side by side. Available non-overlapping channels per room:

• Maximum 1x 2.4GHz channel
  • 1x 20 or 1x 40 MHz 5.0GHz channel

Also we have one single SSID with dynamic VLAN assignment by RADIUS.

So, would a E410 be capable to work properly in such a Situation?

I would personally feel more comfortable deploying the E600 AP in this scenario. 100 concurrent connections is quite a large number so having a 4x4 AP would be my preferred option.

Might also be worth rate limited each client so that when someone does download a large file... or Game Of Thrones! It's not going to have a massive impact on your other 49 users.

I can also recommend this free tool to help you design for capacity: http://www.revolutionwifi.net/capacity-planner

1 Like

I would definitely agree on the E600 as a better alternative in this scenario.  While the chipsets are the same, the performance is going to be much improved with an E600 due to the higher MIMO operation.  I've attached some guides that may help with the physical setup, as well as, the configuration.