E500 and UBNT 900Mhz Loco m9

Hi,

I have an RV park with a lot of trees, we are looking to replace 3 AP's that run mesh on 900 Mhz and 2.4 for clients.  The furthest AP is 600ft from the base, the second AP is 260 ft from the base in linear line.

I would like to use 3 E500's for client access and connect and power UBNT LocoM9's on the E500 second ethernet port with a UBNT inline POE passive converter for the backhaul https://www.ubnt.com/accessories/instant-8023af-adapters/.  The Loco m9 would be the backhaul access point and the SM's.  

Does anyone know if the E500 can communicate with the Loco m9's and to differentiate if it is an Access point or a Service module?  

Internet-->E500-->-->Loco M9 AP=====Loco M9 SM-->E500-->Client

^-->Client

I wish I could use all cambium products but the PMP450 900Mhz is not in my budget. I didn not consider the Rocket M9 with a sector antenna due to the short distance.  If this will not work, any other suggestions to connect the E500's in this forest environment.  Thanks

I have forwarded your post to our support and product team. They will post soon.

Ray

> Does anyone know if the E500 can communicate with the Loco m9's and to differentiate if it is an Access point or a Service module?  

No. There is no standard protocol to support that kind of communication across vendors. The E500 only can send the PoE out to power the other device.  That's at the physical circuit level

Is there a particular reason you were looking for the E500 to figure out if it is conneted to an Access point or a CPE (Service module?)

Thank you for the responses.

>Is there a particular reason you were looking for the E500 to figure out if it is conneted to an Access point or a CPE (Service module?)  To provide a PMP 900Mhz backhaul (loco M9) through trees to two other E500's connected via CPE (loco M9)

My previous experience connecting a connectorized EPMP 1000 with Sector to the E500 as the backhaul acccess point worked great and Force 180's as the SM's worked great connected to the E500.  The base E500 knew automatically to send the internet feed and power via Ethernet 2 to the connectorized EPMP AP for backhaul, and the receiving SM Force 180 provided the backhauled internet to another E500 via powered Ethernet 2.  

I was asking to see if anyone knew if the UBNT Loco M9 would work the same way as the Cambium EPMP and Force180's backhaul since it would seem to be a basic ethernet signal to and from on the ethernet2 or was it designed for only cambium products to communicate with each other for backhaul via the E500 Ethernet 2?

My other option would be to not use the Ethernet 2 on the E500 and just run a separate backhaul from the main internet router ( another POE adapter and a second cable running up a pole from the main router to locoM9 AP) and use two different POE adapters at the receiving end (one for the E500 and another for the LocoM9 CPE).  This sound like a lot of extra cable and hopefully the power box has enough room for 2 POE adapters.  

Your setup should work fine.

The E500 will work with any Ethernet device and will bridge between eth1 and eth2 regardless of whether the device on eth2 is a Cambium AP / SM, a wired switch or a third party wireless device. By default eth1 and eth2 are access ports mapped to VLAN 1, so it will bridge packets received on eth1 with the destination MAC of a device on eth2 (or beyond eth2 via a wired / wireless link) and vice versa. The E500 does not need to know whether the device on eth2 is a CPE or an AP for this to work.

As far as power is concerned eth2 will only power up standard 802.3af devices or devices supporting Cambium PoE input. But you have added a PoE converter in-line on eth2 to fix that so assuming the converter works OK your device should power up.

Thank you Trevor and All,

I've never used the Loco devices just the full Nanostation NSM5's prior to using Cambium equipment, so I just wanted some reassurement before setting up.  This will be my third RV park (I'm a DIY park owner) using the E500's, so far so good with exception of water getting into one E500 after a hard rain (currently in RMA process).  Thanks again.