E500 Mesh Wont hand out DHCP

Fortinet firewall that has DHCP enabled is plugged into switch where Primary AP (Base) is plugged into. Configured the 2 other AP (Clients) to create the mesh. unplugged the clients from the switch and power injected them to a wall port to test. Mesh is set up and SSID is showing up on end devices. Try connecting to SSID from end device but not receiving IP address. All three AP get an IP address by DHCP, but for some reason refuse to push DHCP to end clients.

Should I give static IP to all three AP’s?

I saw in another thread that another SSID should be created for all three AP’s with mesh turned off? Why would that be necessary? Wouldn’t that make a conflict or be redundant?

Nathan Brown,

Can you please share me the techsupport config files of mesh base and mesh client AP’s on my email id ashok.kumar@cambiumnetworks.com

Ideally the setup should be like below
Mesh Base AP :
WLAN-1 : Mesh Base Profile For mesh clients connectivity
WLAN-2 : AP profile For regular clients like laptops, mobiles connectivity
Mesh Client AP :
WLAN-1 : Mesh Client Profile to connect to mesh base profile
WLAN-2 : AP profile For regular clients like laptops, mobiles connectivity

No need to turn off mesh profile and if you are using different VLAN’s please configure Mesh base Ethernet port in Trunk mode and allow the VLAN’s.

Sent all three configs over to you

Nathan,

Hope everything is working fine after configuring new WLAN on 3 AP’s. Clients are able to connect to it.

The issue has been resolved!

What I did was create a third WLAN under the mesh group that was created for the network (Thank you Ashok for the help). When you have the list of WLANs in the AP group it should read

1. Client
  2. Base
  3. End User (or whatever you name it) for this WLAN turn mesh OFF

The SSID should be the same for the first two WLANs because that is how the APs communicate to each other through the MESH, but the third is a separate WLAN and SSID for end users to connect to (Phones, Laptops, etc.) I suggest hiding the SSID that is associated with the CLIENT and BASE so users connecting to the network aren’t confused.

3 Likes