Easy way to pull throughput license info from multiple SMs.

Hey all,
We're looking to track down all of our 450 SMs that still have a 10 Mbps throughput license applied, but I am having trouble finding a good way to pull that information.  cnMaestro doesn't seem to be able to retrieve that info anywhere, and I cannot find an OID in the mib for it (Although I may be missing it).  Does anybody know a method for this that is easier than going through ~550 devices manually?  

1 Like

@SBBinc wrote:

Hey all,
We're looking to track down all of our 450 SMs that still have a 10 Mbps throughput license applied, but I am having trouble finding a good way to pull that information.  cnMaestro doesn't seem to be able to retrieve that info anywhere, and I cannot find an OID in the mib for it (Although I may be missing it).  Does anybody know a method for this that is easier than going through ~550 devices manually?  

Hi SBBinc,

So this is a bit of a hack, because there doesn't appear to be a way to find this quickly from SNMP, but this might work for you if you can script it. The Sustained Downlink/Uplink Data Rate setting on the QoS page shows a range off to the right side like so:

If you try to use the OID "dwnLnkDataRate" or "upLnkDataRate" to set these values, they are capped at the upper range value and will fail to set anything higher than 10 Mbps if the device is limited. You could write an SNMP script to try to set these SNMP OIDs on each SM and keep a log of which ones are unable to go above 10 Mbps. (You may want to read the existing value first, rather than trying to set it, because chances are it's already as high as it will go if you don't routinely adjust this setting on devices, and/or to be able to put it back when you're done.)

It's not ideal, but this should be a relatively straightforward python script if you are someone you know is so inclined.

Hope that helps!

-Al

2 Likes

I have asked the cnMaestro team to take a look at this also... it seems like something that the tool should be able to do.

I will try to get them to respond here when they've evaluated the request.

3 Likes

Thanks! We might take a look at using this as a workaround.

Appreciate that a lot Matt.

Depending how many APs you have, it may be eaiser to look at the configuration list on the AP. That also lists what each SU is currently licensed for.

2 Likes

This method actually made the most sense for us, considering we only have 16 APs.  Thanks!

maybe cambium can change the model number on the radio when the new key is applied..

450-10    to .........