ePMP 1000 Hotspot - Still Useful?

I have some old ePMP 1000 2.4 GHz radios and sectors. Is it worth converting these to 2.4 GHz Hotspots to extend the coverage of a cnPilot AC network outdoors? Do these integrate well with the AC setup?

Does the ePMP 1000 Hotspot support Hotspot 2.0?

Thank you, Chris

• ePMP 1000 Hotspot does not support Passpoint 2.0.
  • My suggestion would be to go ahead with other models of cnPilot Enterprise devices.

Hello Uberdome,

I think ePMP 1000 is a b/n/g architecture and cannot work with the AC technology in the cnPilots. But this does not mean it is unuseable. You can actually use this too still extend your outdoor WiFi network. The way to do this is to either have one 5GHz radio bringing internet to those 2.4GHz radio’s either vis your PMP network or created a PTP to make that work.

In my opinion, it is just same as giving internet to a customer at work or at home but in this case you will actually use cable from the DATA port of your 5GHz radio to the DATA only port of the POE adapter of the 2.4GHz radio.

Alternatively, you can use the AUX port of the 2.4GHz radio to do the magic.
I hope I make sense.

The motivation for the question was that the AC technology is really a 5 GHz technology. Wi-Fi APs in that generation have AC for 5 GHz and N for 2.4 GHz. The only real update to the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi standard after N is AX.

This makes sense, and is how I hoped to do it. For now, I’m experimenting with the newer AX cnPilot radios and will just leave my older ePMP 1000 2.4 GHz APs alone.

Great this works for you.