ePMP 1000 Wifi Ap Timetable?

Is there any expectations on when Wifi mode will be available in the  Ap's ? 

It's already available on the SM's. If you plan your conversion properly, then you really don't need WiFi support on the AP.

Ideally that would be the best plan of action. But I ask because when issues or failures arise with existing Wifi AP's it would be beneficial and more cost effective to be able to replace the failed unit with an ePMP AP in Wifi mode, and begin your conversion in reverse. 

Hi, I agree that thye AP's should have WiFi mode, with support for 5 & 10 Mhz widths also.

>@Eric said: It's already available on the SM's. If you plan your conversion
>properly, then you really don't need WiFi support on the AP.

In theory, if everything goes perfectly, then yes. But, something as simple as if a customer on holidays with their CPE powered off, then AP upgrade day comes and he doesn't get the command to go to ePMP mode... and it's a truck roll when they get home and discover they don't have internet.

Plus, as @Brian says - we could replace AP's with ePMP AP's at any time (perhaps when it's warm or when it's not windy and it's just a good day for a tower climb) and then change out the CPE's at a later time.  Or if an existing AP dies, and we 'might as well' put in a ePMP AP in place and then it's ready for 6 month's from now when we really planned to do the upgrade.

2 Likes

Hi again.  We currently have a couple thousand CPE's in the field that are older technology, and I'm still in the decision making process - trying to decide between UBNT and ePMP for our network upgrade.  So for me, this is a huge question.

Is there any word from Cambium themselves on if this is a feature that's coming or if it's not?  For me, I very much think it's necessary, so that we can change CPE's and AP's in any order, and so that we can then do a software switch to ePMP mode when we're ready.  Tower climbing time needs to be kept to a minimum (and it must be done when the weather is good, when the climber is available, etc) so being able to put a Cambium AP in place, set it to WiFi mode, and use it as such while we complete all CPE upgrades is essential IMHO.

So, just wondering if there is an official answer from Cambium themselves?

Thank you.

Hello?  ;)  I'm fairly new here - is there a better place to ask this question, or an official channel that I should ask instead of here?

This is a great place to ask these questions, and Cambium staff are constantly monitoring and responding to posts. It's probably one of the most active staff monitored forums I've ever subscribed to. That being said, you might want to submit your request to the 'Ideas' area of the forum, in fact, there is already a request dated back in Dec 2014 requesting such a feature...i.e. 802.11 AP WiFi support... that was marked as 'Under Consideration'.

A few things to consider regarding your request:

1. Cambium has already spent considerable engineering time stripping out the WiFi CSMA MAC out and creating their own TDMA MAC on their ePMP radios to make them more efficient. I imagine that adding these WiFi/CSMA features back requires engineering time and testing, and based on forum requests, there haven't been a lot of people asking for a WiFi AP backwards compatibility. I believe having SM compatibility is a decent 'meet me half way' compromise. From a sales and marketing standpoint, it also makes sense. If they made an AP that had WiFi mode, there's a potential for the reverse to happen... e.g. you move away from Cambium ePMP when the next vendor releases their fancy new 802.11x-based product.

2. Again, I would imagine, based upon the above assumptions, that adding SM/WiFi support is easier then adding AP/WiFi support, and that's why they did what they did. Other vendors have already spent time creating a user interface, and interoperability in an AP that caters towards generic 802.11x use. Frankly, I don't want Cambium spending more time working on supporting old radios and the 802.11x standard... that brings me to...

3. If they added AP/WiFi support, they would have to do all this interoperability testing, and then all of a sudden they would have to start troubleshooting and supporting all these different 802.11x based clients that they hadn't planned on supporting. Keep in mind that while WiFi is supposed to be a global standard, there are slight variations in implementations the result in incompatibilities... ahem...cough...Mikrotik...cough...

5 Likes

Hi. OK, thank you for the answer.  I certainly do understand that they don't want to make ''just another WIFI AP'', or support all the nonsense that comes with that.  I most certainly am just wondering about a transition plan.

We've been doing Wireless since 1997, and we do have a couple thousand out there - but it's time to upgrade to newer technology (again) so I'm evaluating UBNT and ePMP as the two frontrunners.

Of course, it's not just how well the technology works, but it's also how well we are going to be able to manage upgrading 100 sectors and 2,000 CPE's out there. So, I do appreciate the complexities of them trying to support WiFi on the AP - but as an upgrade strategy, it's daunting to think about doing what without the flexibility to flip in and out of WiFi mode, in order to avoid a truck roll, if needed.

Thank you for your reply - I'll search out the 'ideas' area.  :)

WiFi AP Mode would be a great help migrating networks.

We don't like to do a complete immediate swap with replacing all CPEs. 

Our network does a continuous update. We have 802.11a, n, dual and single Pol running.

Customer get newer equipment with new contracts. Replacing all CPEs with every new

technology step is not possible. So next step would be epmp 11N dual pol. Step after this is

.ac dual pol, ...

So 802.11 compatibility would allow us to install epmp AP everywhere. Where there are only

epmp cpes we can increase efficiency by enabling tdma mode.

1 Like

Do we have any news on this? I have a broken UBNT AP that I want to replace and would like to replace it with a ePMP1000  instead of replacing the AP twice in a short time...

This capability will be available in a SW release coming out at the end of June.

Hello christian1717 - you asked:

christian1717 wrote:

Do we have any news on this? I have a broken UBNT AP that I want to replace and would like to replace it with a ePMP1000  instead of replacing the AP twice in a short time...

A few people asked similar questions in the March 25/15 ePMP "Ask the Experts" session.  Sakid answered the following: that it was possible in the CLI to turn on WiFi mode in the AP today. So, although you can't really fully configure and select this via the currect version of the GUI, it does sound like you may be able to select it via the CLI in the mean time.   

Sakid Ahmed wrote:

Sunil, There are two things planned here -

a. Today, you can log into the CLI of the ePMP and enable WiFi mode for the AP. All the confguration for frequency and power should be done via the GUI and under enhanced PTP mode and then via CLI you can switch to WiFi AP mode. The commands are below -

AP>config set wirelessInterfaceProtocolMode 2
AP>config save
AP>config apply
Please note that if you make changes and switch back to TDD or Flexible mode, you will have to enter the commands via CLI again. 
We are working on introducing the WiFi mode in the GUI shortly but in the  meantime please use the above.

b. End of Q2, we will offer a WiFi SW package that you can install on the AP separately from our current SW releases. This will support standard WiFi but also multiple SSID, captive portal and guest access

Sakid

Hello,

We apologize for the late response from Cambium. We definitely plan to support WiFi mode in the AP. In fact, it is there today if you want to enable via CLI (admin access). Its supported in 20/40MHz today. In the last part of May we will have support in the GUI. Enabling it via CLI after you select the channel & country code via the ePTP mode of operation will allow you to connet to other devices that are operating in standard wifi mode. Please note that, despite being a standard every vendor does some tweaking when the operate in WiFi mode. This is particularly true for longer range deployments. In other words, you may see some tput degradation when you have ePMP AP as WiFi and then an UBNT or MT client. 

The commands to enable via CLI is as follows -

Configure the ePMP AP for Wifi by selecting ePTP Master mode and then choose all the other appropriate parameters such as power, country code etc.
Then from CLI, use admin/admin and the following commands to make it a WiFi AP
AP>config save
AP>config apply

If you change the mode of operation from the GUI to something else like TDD or Flexible you will have to reset the parameters. This will go away once the GUI support comes in. 
If you have any other questions regarding testing ePMP or transitionning your current network, please drop an email to me and I can give you an overview/training.

Sakid
sakid.ahmed@cambiunetworks.com

@christian1717 wrote:

Hello,

We apologize for the late response from Cambium. We definitely plan to support WiFi mode in the AP. In fact, it is there today if you want to enable via CLI (admin access). Its supported in 20/40MHz today. In the last part of May we will have support in the GUI. Enabling it via CLI after you select the channel & country code via the ePTP mode of operation will allow you to connet to other devices that are operating in standard wifi mode. Please note that, despite being a standard every vendor does some tweaking when the operate in WiFi mode. This is particularly true for longer range deployments. In other words, you may see some tput degradation when you have ePMP AP as WiFi and then an UBNT or MT client. 

The commands to enable via CLI is as follows -

Configure the ePMP AP for Wifi by selecting ePTP Master mode and then choose all the other appropriate parameters such as power, country code etc.
Then from CLI, use admin/admin and the following commands to make it a WiFi AP
AP>config save
AP>config apply

If you change the mode of operation from the GUI to something else like TDD or Flexible you will have to reset the parameters. This will go away once the GUI support comes in. 

Sakid