Epmp 2.4 ghz future?

@CWB wrote:

Definitely would love to see some filtering added. 

That's what I think. I'm disappointed that there is no 2.4Ghz with filtering. Self-interference is the worst enemy - which Cambium knows (ie, they developed the ePMP2000).  I also don't see any real need to create a custom AC chipset implementation in 2.4Ghz - but I would pay for dynamic filtering, and I think dynamic filtering would pay dividends. 

I know that Cambium says there isn't a benefit to filtering in 2.4 Ghz with only 100 Mhz of total spectrum. BUT - I would counter that they also state that filtering allows AP's to be only 5Mhz apart... so it would seem that there is a HUGE benefit and more to the point - a HUGE need for filtering in 2.4 with only 100 Mhz of spectrum. PLUS - people who are installing physical filters are seeing dramatic benefits by the reports they are posting here.  If that's the case, then it IS possible to filter in 2.4Ghz and to dramatically reduce interference.

1 Like

Hi all. I’d just like to bump this thread here in Aug 2021, and to encourage anyone interested in 2.4Ghz to comment on any/all 2.4ghz threads. Cambium has said that they judge things based on their perception of our interest, so we need to let them know that we are interested. ESPECIALLY with the 802.11ax chipset products coming, which DOES have a 2.4Ghz chipset available. Cambium even makes dual-band products such as the XV2-2 and the XV3-8 which are AX chipset 5ghz / 2.4Ghz, and with features such as 4x4 in 2.4Ghz and 8x8 in 5ghz. It would be brilliant to see this find it’s way into the 4000 series - a dual band AP and 4x4/8x8 sector would be a monster product. Of course, if the 2.4Ghz products are separate products with separate antennas, that’s OK too. Or if the AP’s are just AP’s and we have to source our own antennas, that’s also also OK… just please please give us some AX in 2.4Ghz>

Yes please cambium! I’ve gpt hundreds of 2.4 aps active and will forklift them all and pay a premium price. 2.4 needs an upgrade path badly.

We’ve been shifting away from wireless over the nlos in our situation and the low bandwidth. A solid 4x4 qam 256plus 2.4 product would be a life saver. Well aware noise is a huge risk in 2.4, but for us, there isn’t much. We’re the only provider in our areas for now. Our network is ¾ 2.4 epmp, ¼ 5ghz. Well what’s left on wireless. The hybrid fiber wireless model is our goal. 100 mbps plus is our goal, 300 would be great.

1 Like

Our 2.4Ghz deployments are rural farms and acreages, and yes - we’re typically mainly only dealing that that customer’s own router as the primary noise culprit. Even if we can only get 1/4 the speed that our 5ghz customers get, that’s still better than telling them “we can’t reach you” and having them go to the competition. And it’s still better than buying UBNT 2.4Ghz gear… help, help - please don’t make me do that.

For example - this client is on 2.4Ghz at 10 Mhz wide, and he just doesn’t work in 5Ghz through the trees. No feasible way to get over the trees, no feasible way to get around the trees - or to run ethernet/fiber. Plop in a 2.4Ghz ePMP and he’s got an acceptable/workable solution for where he is, 6.95 km away, through his neighbor’s trees, even with 2.4ghz noise. If this was Cambium AX, we’d have more options in our arsenal - more tools in the tool kit.

Downlink 30.501 Mbps
Uplink 5.229 Mbps
Aggregate 35.73 Mbps

1 Like

The bulk of our customers are 2.4 and like the others have noted, we are rural and there are trees, trees, and yet more trees. We rely heavily on 2.4 to reach customers out to 5 miles and also use 900 for those really hard to reach customers. We would love to have an AC based 2.4 platform that doesn’t require selling blood every day to afford.

2 Likes

YES. AC or better yet, AX based.
For a sizeable chunk of our clients, there is no practical way to get over or around the trees. Most of them have at least a row or two of Spruce around the yardsite, and they are 60-80’ tall. We can often get good signals from the roof with 2.4Ghz, and next to nothing in 5Ghz.

1 Like