ePMP 2000 Sector vs RFelements Carrier Class Sector 20dbi

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have the ePMP 2000 Sector and or the RFelements Carrier Class Sector 20dbi (5ghz) deployed right now. I'm just looking for some comparisons between the two as I'm overhauling my network over to Cambium and want to do it right this time.

Any comments you're willing to make about either of them will be great!

ePMP 2000 sector has an almost flat gain on every frequency of its supported spectrum.
RF Elements’ sector has its maximum gain only on 5400+ frequencies.

ePMP 2000 sector is more shielded on the back, Front to Back is higher than RF.

They’re both great sectors, it depends on your needs.

Thanks guiseppe4. I think the only downside to the ePMP2000 sector is the back bracket correct? Do you know if there is any bracket currently out there that will support the ePMP1000? The only reason I don't go with the ePMP2000 right now is that I operate on 100% solar and the difference is almost double the watts on the 2k vs the 1k.

You could attach ePMP 1000 on the pole and use a cable to connect to the sector if you need to be stuck on ePMP 1000.
ePMP 2000 is very good expecially using beamforming antenna and if you don’t have interference now… Maybe they’ll come in the future!
I think power consumption is similar to 1000 if you’re not using beamforming antenna, but ePMP 2000 is better.
The new GPS chipset is great: I solved all my issues on towers with cellular sectors co-location.

That's a good point! I didn't consider that. Maybe I should just go with the entire ePMP2k line and purchase the beamforming antennas later on.

While we are at it. What is the max distance you would use a Force 200 with that ePMP sector to stay within -55 to -65? I think they are better than UBNT's Nanobeam 400's right?

It depends on the power you’re allowed to use. Radio is radio and the signal is the same, Cambium’s works better with the same signal level. You can use a calculator (for example Mikrotik’s one, search for MikroTik Link Calculator on Google)

@giuseppe4 wrote:
You could attach ePMP 1000 on the pole and use a cable to connect to the sector if you need to be stuck on ePMP 1000.
ePMP 2000 is very good expecially using beamforming antenna and if you don't have interference now... Maybe they'll come in the future!
I think power consumption is similar to 1000 if you're not using beamforming antenna, but ePMP 2000 is better.
The new GPS chipset is great: I solved all my issues on towers with cellular sectors co-location.

The ePMP2k sector actually comes with an adapter to mount ePMP1k AP's to the back of the antenna.

This might be useful.  We just completed a long test between ePMP 1000 with an RF Elements carrier class antenna vs the new ePMP 2000 with their sector and beam steering attachment.

4 Likes

Thanks  AU Wireless! I really appreciate the reporting that you do. I have been on the fence about what to use. All I know is that the rest of my network (ubiquiti gear) is driving me crazy! Every day I have to babysit the network because something always happens. From high pings, to sudden disconnects. Jeeez!

Has anyone else done some testing with those products? I would like some more feedback as I'm really trying to standardize my network and not replace things for a good couple of years.

You will not be dissapointed with Cambium.

I already did I field trial of cambium AP + SM and it worked great! Haven't messed with it since I installed it. So did you try to use the ePMP 1000 with the 2k sector to measure the performace?

We did not put the 1000 AP on the 2000 sector.  That is probably the one thing we did not test. I did not play with the mounting hardware to get the 2k AP off and attach the 1k AP.  SInce the gear was loaner gear, I did not want to take it apart. That would have told us if it was just the antenna casing the differences.  I have been very impressed with the RF Elements antennas.  We use a couple of their horns as well and love them.