EPMP 2k, 2ghz?

Nope, and nope. Supposedly, the small amount of spectrum available for 2.4 and 900mhz make super-het aka 'HyPure' design performance negligable over traditional filtering.

@Eric Ozrelic wrote:

Nope, and nope. Supposedly, the small amount of spectrum available for 2.4 and 900mhz make super-het aka 'HyPure' design performance negligable over traditional filtering.

well crap. 

it already does really well, but we can always hope for more right? ;)

Yep! That was one of the first things I asked during beta. There's no PMP450i planned for 2.4 either :-(

That's too bad.  You'd think that with all the extra 2.4 interference and with the limited spectrum, that would be exactly WHY a ePMP2000 would be a benefit in 2.4Ghz.  I suspect it's actually as much the 'marketing'  and the smaller sales & market share that Cambium is seeing in 2.4Ghz that are the deciding factors too.

However - I'm sure the Cambium engineers will figure it out if it's possible.  We can always hope. :)

HERE IS MY +1 / KUDO FOR A 2.4GHZ ePMP2000   :)

3 Likes

@ninedd wrote:

That's too bad.  You'd think that with all the extra 2.4 interference and with the limited spectrum, that would be exactly WHY a ePMP2000 would be a benefit in 2.4Ghz.  I suspect it's actually as much the 'marketing'  and the smaller sales & market share that Cambium is seeing in 2.4Ghz that are the deciding factors too.

However - I'm sure the Cambium engineers will figure it out if it's possible.  We can always hope. :)

I'm still hoping it may happen someday too!

1 Like

@Chris_Bay wrote:

@ninedd wrote:

I'm still hoping it may happen someday too!

Do you have a lot of 2.4 deployed vs 5 GHz?

We have approximately 5:1. 2.4ghz to 5ghz radios deployed. Another 400 to 500 pmp 100 and 320 cpes to change that will mostly be 2.4 currently we’ve got 105 synced APs, 81 of them are 2.4. (not counting PTP ) by the end of the year I hope to have another 28 of both active.

We currently have 106 (non-cambium) APs that are 2.4ghz and a couple thousand clients. We are looking to change them all out to Cambium. Some of those will end up being 5ghz now that we are changing them anyway - but at least 1000 of them will be upgraded to ePMP 2.4Ghz due to the trees we have here. Ever farm has trees around the yardsite and bluffs all over the place.

2 Likes

Down to 200 ish devices on 2.4 GHz from the other brands,. 0 can’t happen fast enough.

Wow, you guys are way more invested in 2.4 then I am... I'm at around (450) 2.4 subscribers, currently transitioning away from UBNT Airmax and PMP100 over to ePMP and PMP450. I'm about 2/3rd's of the way done with this swap project. We're adding new 2.4 customers every day though. Ever since PMP100/ePMP GPS timing compatibility and the Force 200 for 2.4 came out, we've been swapping entire PMP100 2.4 sites over. It's been great so far.

1 Like

@Eric Ozrelic wrote:

Wow, you guys are way more invested in 2.4 then I am... I'm at around (450) 2.4 subscribers, currently transitioning away from UBNT Airmax and PMP100 over to ePMP and PMP450. I'm about 2/3rd's of the way done with this swap project. We're adding new 2.4 customers every day though. Ever since PMP100/ePMP GPS timing compatibility and the Force 200 for 2.4 came out, we've been swapping entire PMP100 2.4 sites over. It's been great so far.

we've been using it to get rid of ubnt 2.4 gear,      we've been using it to replace our 320 cpes and to take off what ever we can from the pmp100 series 900. (all our 2.4 pmp100s went to 5ghz epmp)  some of them have been able to hit 5ghz APs  but largely this has been our only way to upgrade the network at no cost to our end users.   i'm not sure how many CPEs exactly we've put out in 2.4 cpes, I need to get an updated count.    this year we've been burning a case of 2.4 units a week on average. 

to go, i've got 251 UBNT devices left in the aircontrol software. 

600 and change pmp100 900 mhz radios,   won't be able to change majority of them i'm sure.  (going to lease more towers to reduce our dependancy on 900 and hopefully move a fair amount to 5 ghz) 

150 cambium 320 cpes to go, and 6 basestations.       i'd imagine 4/5 of those will be 2.4 radios

we are very invested in 2.4 lol     I wish we could use more 5ghz, but trees don't play well on that end of the house. 

for me i have around 600 clients on 2.4ghz and 150 on 5 ghz. Mostly ubnt i moving to epmp stuff too. I try to migrate the must i can on 5 ghz but at some place i have no choice to use 2.4 ghz I cannot put the fire in all forest i see :P I just lease some 3650 Mhz spectrum here in Canada... My first plan was to move to Telrad LTE... But it's look like a BIG money pit! Anybody got news about Medusa ??? 

@PCaddict wrote:

for me i have around 600 clients on 2.4ghz and 150 on 5 ghz. Mostly ubnt i moving to epmp stuff too. I try to migrate the must i can on 5 ghz but at some place i have no choice to use 2.4 ghz I cannot put the fire in all forest i see :P I just lease some 3650 Mhz spectrum here in Canada... My first plan was to move to Telrad LTE... But it's look like a BIG money pit! Anybody got news about Medusa ??? 

you can get the cambium 450 gear in 365,   doesn't cost near what the telrad gear does and the 450 works well

the 450m is coming out in the 5ghz first,   and if i'm remebering right, the next verisons coming out 1st quarter next year (the webcast a few months back has the details on it)   

but most importantly, the 450 clients you have now, you will NOT need to replace to get the speed bonus from the 450M APs 

here is the thread with the goodies on the 450M

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/PMP-450/Go-Massive/td-p/52839

the webinar has plenty of good information. 

I also vote for the 2.4 GHz version. The whole point of beamforming is to null out interference, right? What band has more of it? I'm sure a smart antenna panel on 2.4 will be rather larger than for 5 GHz, but if it blocks the neighbor's Wi-Fi, or XfinityWiFi, or other crap, it's well worth it.

3.65 has too much tree attenuation plus the licensing is frozen and geographically limited. Once CBRS opens up it'll be available in more places, but 2.4 is usable everywhere.

I agree, whatever we can do to grow the ePMP in 2.4ghz, I think that’s a good thing. I know you say there isn’t the 2.4 market for Cambium that there is for 5ghz, but I think that’s partly a chicken and egg thing. If there was a 2.4ghz beam forming antenna and a 2.4ghz filter chipset - then I think that the ubnt exodus would be even more quickerest than it is now.

1 Like

Even if the filter get left out, and just beam steering added (if that brings the numbers into better play for Cambium) I think that would help us out a lot! I don’t see much co-band noise issues as much as we see on channel uplink interference from other devices in 2ghz.

And like ninedd said, if cambiums got hands down the best 2.4 gear out there and by. Long shot, I’d gamble to say the sales would increase significantly. When we started the change over, we were a little slow to get started but once the massive difference in performance was obvious we dove in. I’m sure there are plenty of skiddish operators out there still undecided and something like beam steering would be to good to ignore.

@Chris_Bay wrote:
Even if the filter get left out, and just beam steering added (if that brings the numbers into better play for Cambium) I think that would help us out a lot! 

Yes, I agree. If Cambium feels that the filter circuitry has little benefit in 2.4Ghz, and if they feel that the developmental cost of that is prohibitive, then just a 2.4ghz beam steering antenna would still be a very welcome addition. And if the antenna has to be larger and more expensive - then it's still the best value because it'll actually work - and nothing is more important for a WISP than working well in a high interference environment.

And if the 2.4Ghz antenna needs to be an extra couple hundred $ to make it economically viable - that breaks down to what...   maybe $10 per connected client?  That's peanuts - whatever you can do to make my network work better, I'd rather pay Cambium than pay telephone support people to listen to customer complaints. :) 

"If you build it, they will come..."  (James Earl Jones whisper voice)

Another support for 2.4 GHz ePMP 2000 please!

We use 2.4 GHz ePMP and 5.7 GHz PMP450 and so forth.

It's great to hear that ePMP 1000 in 2.4 GHz is performing so well for you guys. Although the band is very crowded its propogation characteristics do still have benefits over 5 GHz in many places. We are considering frequency variants of ePMP 2000 based on market research and community feedback so this topic is very valuable and I thank you all for giving us your thoughts.