Epmp 3000 customers in 45° area, groupable stations?

Hello,

We currently have several epmp 1000 and epmp 2000 sectors, really would like to try epmp 3000 but wan't to understand more abut how to take advantage of the MU-MIMO.

In one of the towers, in which this technology would be excellent due to high volume of customers and the need for high bandwidth, the area that we would like to target as a test case has a very dense area with all the customers located between 45°, 725m (794 yards) to 1.1 km (0.70mi) from the tower, would MU-MIMO be able to group customers in such scenario?

The 60* dual-horn antenna that Cambium has released may be a good fit for your deployment.   Cambium has stated that antenna patterns less than 60* don't group as effectively.

Thank you Jacob,

Mi cocern is that in such a narrow and close area the epmp 3000 won´t be able to make groups of stations, do you think that with the 60° dual-horn antenna it will?

That is what the dual-horn unit was designed for.  I can't say how effective it will be in a narrower area than 60* though.  Linkplanner may be able to model this.

1 Like

The more clients you have, the more likely it'll be able to pair them - and the more likely that multiple SM's will request data at the same time.  How many SM's do you have?

1 Like

Vicente,

Like ninedd said the more SM's you have the better your chances of grouping. Although 45 degrees is less than ideal than a spread out subscriber base over 90 degrees you will still have many groupable SM's if they're spread out among the 45 degree area. Generally, azimuth deltas of 21° ± 8° and 63° ± 8° between SM's that need to receive within a frame can group. This occurs dynamically and only when there is sufficient data to warrant grouping. If the usage is light you may not see any MU-MIMO activity, but this will kick in during peak times with sufficient downlink traffic. 

The 60 degree horn suggested by Jacob is a good idea, too. It has no side lobes so this can mitigate interference coming from side lobes or azimuths outside of the 60 degrees of coverage, which is more than adequate for your 45 degree area and more exclusive than a 90 degree antenna. It does have lower gain, however, so that is a drawback. I'm not sure if the azimth delta requirement is the same or narrower with the dual horn than it is the 4x4 MU-MIMO antenna.  

1 Like

Thanks ninedd, I have more than 400 customers in that area. The idea is to install a dual-horn and start upgrading customers to compatible radios and test the epmp 3000 MU-MIMO. I will report back how it goes.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed explanation Brian, I will try with the 60 degree horn and report back.