Epmp 3000 with 2 45 degree sectors using split sector setting

Looking for some advice on utilizing the split sector option of the epmp 3000. I have a epmp 3K with about 37 clients on it and at peak hours we are reaching 90-100 mbps, around 85% total frame usage. Wondering if setting up split sector function would benefit us? I read we would lose the mu-mimo, thoughts?

1 Like

Split sector is for non-overlapping sectors. Are your sectors pointed in the same direction? MU-MIMO is more valuable I’d say in most cases. What channel bandwidth are you running? What’s your grouping like? Also, keep in mind that MU-MIMO doesn’t start really kicking in til about 93% frametime.

We have 3 sectors (e3K radios), north, west and east facing. 20mhz channel

Ah so not overlapping? I am curious if you are seeing grouping.

Sorry for late reply, my North facing sector is the busiest… just thought if I could spilt into smaller sectors could free up some airtime… unless I am misunderstanding.

Split sector is going to limit you to the capacity of the AP without MU-Mimo. Mu-Mimo will have greater throughput potential if the setup is correct.

Like Brubble said, it is possible but your actual gains on this will be from adding another AP instead of using split sector. If you need to add capacity to a sector, add another AP above or below, use GPS sync and move priority customers to the new AP.

Split sector is to reduce radio count on a low density location. You need the fiber port of the e3k but do not need the full capacity on a single sector type of arrangement, so you use one radio for N&S and another for E&W and only use dual polarity/feed sectors. This saves on radio count and keeps antenna cost down (though quad feed antennas are not really much more expensive).

1 Like

Oh wow, thank you very much for the explanation/information. I am definitely ignorant on this subject and can not find any literature explaining the “split sector” option.

That was exactly what I was referring to.

Thank you for your reply, so if I add another 3000 with a 90 degree sector and put it below the existing one, the only way gps sync will work is that the existing AP/radio is not using gps sync already, correct?

no. All APs on a tower should be syncd.

enable gps either internal gps or cmm (packetflux cambium sync injector and a syncbox jr work great, does 4 radios per injector and can be daisy chained for more radios, one syncbox can sync as many radios as you can add) on all radios on the tower. Even if they are different channels, sync ensures that the APs are not talking over each other. This is very important if you are doubling up a sector as you would have to have a lot of vertical separation otherwise and will still be fighting self made interference.
Another side effect of having all of your APs in sync is your frame utilization will go down a bit due to the number of retransmissions that will no longer be needed.

I see, yes all 3 existing APs are gps sync… so to add another AP above or below I just need frequency room. And with them being syncd, should there be any vertical separation? Thank you for your help/insight

depending on your antennas, 3 to 6ft of vertical is good, you can get away with less and more wont hurt. Cheap antennas with bad f/b ratios and bad vertical lobes need more vertical space.

If you set your tilt angles correctly, the two radios can be on the same channel, even though that is not a great idea, it does work with the epmp radios and they must be in sync with both radio settings and sync source.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.