ePMP 3000L PTP mode

TDD PTP mode seems to have been removed in the 4.4 firmware. Is that a permanent change, or will it be coming back?

1 Like

Ok, I'm assuming this is just a bug. It looks like the controls to switch between TDD and TDD PTP are just missing on the 3000L. If I upgrade a radio that's already in PTP mode, it seems to be stuck in PTP mode.

1 Like

For ePMP3000 and ePMP3000L TDD PTP mode was removed in 4.4 release and will not be supported anymore. After upgrade, the mode should be switched automatically to TDD, but this is not happening and this is a bug.

Thank you, Mathew, for reporting this problem. 

Why was it removed? We've been using the 3000L to upgrade our ePMP 1000 PTP links... it's a cheap and simple solution where we need a bit more capacity, but can't easily justify going to something higher end, and it lets us sync with our PtMP radios.

2 Likes

@Andrii Khyzhnyi wrote:

For ePMP3000 and ePMP3000L TDD PTP mode was removed in 4.4 release and will not be supported anymore

So, your recommendation is not to upgrade the firmware then?  Or we should pull the hardware out and use different hardware?

1 Like

Cambium - "Thank you, Mathew, for reporting this problem. "

LOL...That is just stone cold. 

I like how you then make no attempt to explain why. Brutal.

To be fair - from what I understand, an AC version of the outstanding ePTP mode is being written for firmware 4.5 - so ''right around the corner'' we may have a 'better' PTP mode to use.

Also, it could be argued that TDD PTP mode isn't really too much different than regular TDD mode, and if you set the 'Max Registrations Allowed' down to 1, you have a fairly similar mode anyway.

However, that all being said - arbitrarily removing a feature like that still seems very strange. It would be good to know the 'why' of a decision like that, or to be included as part of the feature discussion.

As far as I know, the only difference between TDD PTP and regular TDD with the max registrations set to 1, is that TDD PTP allows for much higher TX Power, which is kind of important in some cases... especially if you have the antenna size set right.

I'm wondering if the reason it was removed is actually because they aren't FCC certified for PTP power levels/antenna sizes.

There is no eAlign on the AP side of a straight TDD link. To me that is pretty important feature to have.  

1 Like

@CWB wrote:

There is no eAlign on the AP side of a straight TDD link. To me that is pretty important feature to have.  

OH Yeah, right!  Kinda a deal-breaker kinda important for sure!

Hi!

The easiest way is to reset them to default. They should boot up as PMP enabled.

Thanks,

Dmitry

Goodevening… I need a very urgent information…
Is possible to configure a couple of ePMP3000L as Point to Point? (one as AP and other like a CPE)
Thank’s

Yes, this is a supported configuration.

Many Thank’s… are you totally sure? I’m buying more of 160 pieces for an important project.
Thank’s for advice!!

Yes, it’s supported in PTP and ePTP modes:

1 Like

Short Answer: Yes, we have a bunch of 3000L as Point-to-Point.

Longer Answer: As far as I know, you’d have the exact same performance with Force 300csm as the SM side of of the link. The GPS sync is inherited from the 3000L AP/Master side, and so the SM side can be a Force 300csm and it then gets it’s GPS timing from the AP.

3 Likes

We have both force300-25 and force300csm on ptp links with e3kL as the AP, works great and is 1/4 the cost of a ptp550 link. Good for getting a new tower connected but doesnt need loads of bandwidth to start and the antennas are compatible with ptp550s when you need to upgrade unless you used a AF5g30.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Allow PTP550 to talk to Force300