ePMP- Any way to change the setting of the Country parameter when locked, to avoid DFS channels?

Hi all,

I have a 5 GHz Force 190 Radio (ROW/ETSI) which I need to set in frequencies not in DFS channels. This model however, when set in AP mode will not allow me to select non-DFS frequencies. SM mode on the other hand, has a wider range of frequencies. Is there a way to change the base frequencies when in AP mode? If I upload the configuration file in text (using cnMaestro templates) or perform the configuration through CLI will the ePMP accept and use non-DFS frequencies or is it going to be bricked? I hear this is possible with Ubiquiti products.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I have a PTP link which no matter what I try, it is always reporting DFS.

Hello @deltanet ,

would you send me the part number of your radios?

Maybe your radios are not ROW, but instead , thay are ETSI locked only.

Sincerely yours,

Niragira Olympe

Hi Olympe. Part No. is C050900C083A, Model No/HVIN: C050900P081A and description is “ePMP Force 190 5GHz Integrated Radio Subscriber Module, EU”.

Hello @deltanet ,

this is an ePMP Force 190 EU version. It should have a certain TX power limitation due to EU regulations. Now, I have a few questions:

1. What is the range of your point to point links?
  2. How much capacity you want to carry in that link?
  3. Is your installation place a rural or town area?
  4. Do you have much interference in that area? Are you close to an aiport?

Depending on the setup you have, you may work well with your link.

Sincerely yours,

Niragira Olympe

Well, the issue is that DFS kicks in endlessly causing the link to drop. I performed a Spectrum Analysis and the entire 5470 – 5725 Mhz spectrum is noisy. What I need is to expand the range allowed by the F190 AP to 5250 – 5725 Mhz. If I download a license from Cambium website I can set it to any ETSI country but I am not sure which country will expand the range below 5470 MHz, above 5725 MHz, or any 5GHz band that will allow non-DFS channels.

Another question I have is if I will be able to change the country license once more or the F190 will remain locked on the first country I enter the license for.

Here is the answers to the questions you send me:

1. What is the range of your point to point links?
    900 meters

2. How much capacity you want to carry in that link?
    50Mbps

3. Is your installation place a rural or town area?
    Rural, quiet village on a mountain slope with a perfectly clear LOS.

4. Do you have much interference in that area? Are you close to an airport?
    Well I thought there was no interference because of the quiet location the village is but as I explained the AP indicates that it operates in DFS, reporting radar detection, etc, etc. The spectrum analysis which I attach shows a lot of interference as well.

Hello @deltanet ,

A 900 meters link is a quite short link.

I am not sure if the ETSI locked ePMP Force can be unlocked.
I advise to setup the link, align it well and test it. And use frequency around 5475 MHz with 20 MHz. I see the noice around -92 dBm, this quite acceptable to allow a good link in your area.
Check if you can reach 50 Mbps, It should work and if not, test it with a channel of 40 MHz and test the link again. But, better you use a 20 MHz channel width.

Sincerely yours,

Niragira Olympe

Hi Olympe,

Thank you for the information. In regards of the spectrum analysis I was looking at the orange dots which indicate the peak of the interference. These peaks while looking at them live they were occurring every 20 seconds or so. Probably this is what is causing the AP to go into DFS and drop the connection.

I will check with cambium support for the country license.

Hello @deltanet ,

I would like to know if you ever installed the link and tested it.

I have seen links in a higher intefered environment working maybe with limited capacity but operational.
Can you share the signal received after installation?

Sincerely yours,

Niragira Olympe

Another thing which may help, would be to move up to Force200 (or some other SM with a narrower beam width. That may help shield you from the radar, or from whatever is triggering the DFS.

Also, some of the ePMP gear (but not all???) have 10 and 5 Mhz wide channels, which will limit your potential bandwidth, but which can be very helpful for getting between noise. I have a Force200–Force200 link to my house in ePMP mode, and it allows 10 & 5Mhz channels. Again, 10Mhz might not give you quite enough bandwidth, BUT it might help diagnose things and see if the link drops or not.

Another things is: What modes / Firmware are you using? I scrolled back, but I didn’t see where that’s mentioned? If it’s in TDD mode, or TDD PTP mode, you may want to try ePTP mode instead (or vice versa). On the 1000/2000 gear, I think the ePTP mode is just about nearly magic. :slight_smile:

Also, depending what firmware you are currently using, there were some firmware versions more prone to false DFS hits, so upgrading to the latest 4.6.1-RC and trying with that would probably be the best chance to see if these are real DFS or false DFS.

Hi Olympe,

The link is installed and in production. After installing in, it operated excellent for about 12 hours before collapsing. The spectrum analysis I shared is from the installation site.

Hello @deltanet ,

let me know the frequency used, the channel width and TX power.

Sincerely yours,

Niragira Olympe

Hi ninedd,

I had it on ePTP mode at a 40MHz channel at first. Switched it to 20MHz later. Now I converted the link to TDD PTP and tried both 40 MHz and 20 MHz. I have aslo played around with the “Subscriber Module Target Receive Level”. Nothing helped. I perfromed a spectrum analysis in the frequencies below 5470MHz and they are clean. In the EU these frequencies are allowed to use as long as you keep your radio power low. This is why I thought switching the country hoping to unlock these frequencies. I hear that ubiquiti allows the administrator to do just that so I may be testing ubiquiti.

Right now it is operating at 5715 MHz at 20 MHz channel.
Alterative bandwidth 1 is 5685 MHz and alternative bandwidth 2 at 5490 MHz.
TX power is at 7db.

I am just finding out that a military exercise was taking place in the area with mobile radars in use. The exercise completed today and I hope the radars move away by tomorrow! If the link stabilizes that would probably be the cause.

2 Likes

Hello @deltanet ,

I glad to hear that it is sorted.

Sincerely yours,

Niragira Olympe

Your problem is there is a high power spike that is tripping the DFS lockout. You need to shield from this with a narrower rf aperture. Using a f200 will do this as the f190 has quite a wide aperture compared to an f200 that is only 6 degrees wide.

Also, your EU country may not allow you to use the frequencies you want outdoors. You must comply with the local regulations.

As far as I know, the only way to unlock a radio is to modify the radio operating system. Some radios are region locked with software select fuses in the fpga, once set the fpga needs to be wiped and reflashed. Basically, not practical.

I would focus on either mitigation or pay for a licensed link.

Thank you Douglas. When you say “high power spike” could it be power lines or is it an RF signal, radar, etc? There are domestic power lines (240V) near by as the AP is installed on a house roof.

I opened a ticket with Cambium support and they got back asking to arrange a call to check on the country settings. They will do it through root access. Indeed EU requires these lower frequencies to be used indoors as long as the radio power is controlled. But it is a private area so I believe this will not be a problem as long as I keep the power as low as possible.

In terms of DFS I am referring to RF power. And high is relative to the noise floor before and after the spike. There is also the amount of bandwidth that the spike is on. It can be over 300Mhz for some radar types. The closest weather radar to me uses 150Mhz bandwidth and when we do hear it its usually 30db above the mean background noise. Just enough to trigger DFS. When the military send jets down our way to play, their radar is only 80Mhz wide and is usually over 50db the background noise. The point is that you can see it if SA is running but most of the time you wont and it will be enough to drive you nuts! But narrower antenna patterns tend to be enough to limit this to a very narrow path.

I urge you to become very familiar with the regulations that affect your operation or you may find yourself in a lot of trouble that is best avoided.

Thank you for the useful information. These are some good reference points. I will take your advice and talk to our RF regulatory body.

I have always found that my local regulations office (ISED Canada) to be very helpful and if you show you want to do it right, they will help you. It is much better to be on their good side than their bad side!