ePMP Best Practice

I have several doubts in ePMP Best Practices
Hope you can gimme some opinion based on your field experience

QUESTIONS
1. Use TDD mode because Air Fairness Scheduling from Cambium is only available in TDD mode
What is Airtime Fairness
Root Cause:
Slowness of higher data rated client in the presence of slow clients
Resolution:
Airtime Fairness gives equal amounts of air time (instead of equal number of frames) to each client regardless of its theoretical data rate. This will ensure higher download speed to latest devices when slower devices are connected to the same AP.

2. enable Band steering

3. use 40MHz instead of 20MHz chanel width
When using 5GHz, it is recommended to use at least 40MHz channel width, as some client devices may not prefer 5GHz unless it offers a greater channel width than 2.4GHz.

4. HT/VHT
High Throughput(HT)
using VHT40 or VHT80 mode is recommended, as it can allow for better performance.

5. which channel to use for 5GHz
let say now AP1 has clean air on channel 36, but SM1 channel 36 is crowded but channel 37 is not
so I decide to use channel 37 for both AP1 and SM1
But maybe next month channel 37 already crowded and channel 38 is not
How to overcome that problem?
Should I specify just 3 candidate channels?

6. Transmitter Output Power
should I set it to Manual or Auto

7. DHCP Server Below SM
I think DHCP server should reside in AP side instead of SM side because AP side usually in HQ while SM maybe in Branch
HQ has more redundancy than Branch
In what scenario, I should enable this?

8. L2 L3 Firewall
give me a case which L2 L3 Firewall needed

tq

BTW! You should have posted this to the cnPilot forum section HERE. Your questions are for capabilities that ePMP does not support.

My answers are in BLUE
@nbctcp wrote:
I have several doubts in ePMP Best Practices
Hope you can gimme some opinion based on your field experience

QUESTIONS
1. Use TDD mode because Air Fairness Scheduling from Cambium is only available in TDD mode
What is Airtime Fairness
Root Cause:
Slowness of higher data rated client in the presence of slow clients
Resolution:
Airtime Fairness gives equal amounts of air time (instead of equal number of frames) to each client regardless of its theoretical data rate. This will ensure higher download speed to latest devices when slower devices are connected to the same AP.

cnPilot devices do not support TDD mode. It's recommended to turn off air time fairness if you have mostly newer AC clients, as having it on may reduce their performance.

2. enable Band steering

3. use 40MHz instead of 20MHz chanel width
When using 5GHz, it is recommended to use at least 40MHz channel width, as some client devices may not prefer 5GHz unless it offers a greater channel width than 2.4GHz.

4. HT/VHT
High Throughput(HT)
using VHT40 or VHT80 mode is recommended, as it can allow for better performance.

5. which channel to use for 5GHz
let say now AP1 has clean air on channel 36, but SM1 channel 36 is crowded but channel 37 is not
so I decide to use channel 37 for both AP1 and SM1
But maybe next month channel 37 already crowded and channel 38 is not
How to overcome that problem?
Should I specify just 3 candidate channels?

Use the 'Auto Channel Select', 'Auto RF', and 'Interference Avoidance' to have the radio automatically move channels when noise is detected.

6. Transmitter Output Power
should I set it to Manual or Auto

AUTO

7. DHCP Server Below SM
I think DHCP server should reside in AP side instead of SM side because AP side usually in HQ while SM maybe in Branch
HQ has more redundancy than Branch
In what scenario, I should enable this?

I would have the router act as a DHCP server. I would NOT have the AP act as a DHCP server.

8. L2 L3 Firewall
give me a case which L2 L3 Firewall needed

I would NOT have the radio do any firewall functions. This should be done by your router.

tq

Please read the attached documentation for basic optimized setup of cnPilot radios.

1 Like