ePMP CPE not connecting to cnMaestro On-Premises in NAT mode and management IP/VLAN enabled

Hi,

I've started to deploy the cnMaestro On-Premises to a client however the majority devices are not showing on Onboard Devices.

The CPEs that doesn't work are configured as a NAT router with PPPoE and Separate management IP and VLAN being used. In our environment there is no route between client addresses (PPPoE) and management addresses.

Devices configured as Bridge works properly.

My guess is that the cnMaestro client on the device is trying to connect through the NAT/PPPoE Wan address/interface instead of the Management IP address/interface.

I can't ping nor complete a traceroute to the cnMaestro IP from the CPE, which I attribute to the same behaviour as with cnMaestro client: the ping and traceroute tools are always using NAT/PPPoE Wan to reach destination.

There are no problems with ping or traceroute from cnMaestro server to those CPEs so routing is working fine on our management networks.

Is there a way to force the cnMaestro client to use the management interface to reach the cnMaestro server?

Thanks,
Ricardo

Hello,

What version of ePMP software are you using?

What are you using as PPPoE server?

If would help to have a copy of the configuration of one of the SMs (backup config from the Tools->Backup/Restore page should suffice).

Regards

Hello Luis,

SMs are running 3.3. However, I tested some running 3.0 and some pre-3.0 before updating to 3.3 to try to fix the problem.

PPPoE servers are running RouterOS 6.38.5. Do you think PPPoE server would be the problem?

I've attached a zip file with two configs, one works with cnMaestro and the other don't. I have replaced some values with "xxxx" just for safety.

If you need any other information, just ask :)

Regards

1 Like

@rghisi wrote:

Hello Luis,

SMs are running 3.3. However, I tested some running 3.0 and some pre-3.0 before updating to 3.3 to try to fix the problem.

PPPoE servers are running RouterOS 6.38.5. Do you think PPPoE server would be the problem?

I've attached a zip file with two configs, one works with cnMaestro and the other don't. I have replaced some values with "xxxx" just for safety.

If you need any other information, just ask :)

Regards

Hi,

You are right.

ePMP devices uses PPPoE/WAN interface for interaction with cnMaestro server.

This behaviour was implemented since cnMaestro has been introduced.

We are already have internal issue opened regarding configuration with NAT mode, PPPoE and Management Interface. We are investigating user cases to make interaction between ePMP and cnMaestro most simple and clear for user.

Thank you for your post.

2 Likes

Hi Fedor,

Than you for the feedback. Is there any workarround I can use for now?

Do you think the fix will be available in the next release?

And finally, is this (forum) the right channel to report bugs?

Regards

Hi,

Workaround is to make cnMaestro server reachable from PPPoE/WAN interface.
Fix is not going to be delivered in the next release, but we will increase priority for it.
Forum is right place to discuss every topic related to ePMP and in general Cambium products.
You can contact me directly at fedor.trutsko(at)cambiumnetworks(dot)com in case you have found defects in ePMP firmware.
Thank you for your input.
It will help us to improve ePMP product.

1 Like

This issue still exists in 3.5 and affects *ALL* outbound management traffic (syslog, cnMaestro, etc.).

1 Like